UCI Outlasts USF in Tennis Duel

As part of the 8th annual Spring Invitational, the UC Irvine Women’s Tennis team defeated the lady Dons of the University of San Francisco, 5-2, in the semifinal matchup on April 2.
The lady Dons won two of the three doubles matches, taking a 1-0 lead before heading into singles matches.
Junior Izabela Mijic and Freshman Jessica Broadfoot were the only tandem to win a doubles match for UCI, with a 6-2 win over Michelle Duncan and Emma Taylor in the No. 3 match.
However, the Anteaters (9-8) made a comeback in all six singles matches.
Senior Anna Bentzer illustrated lightning speed returns against her opponent Camille Pamart in a match Benzter won 6-1.
Mijic, along with Freshman Inna Agababian, sophomore Jayme Hu and Broadfoot overwhelmingly defeated their opponents in their respective singles matches.
Saturday’s match against USF was the first match for three freshman Anteaters.
Agababian was pleased with the results of the match, despite the Anteaters struggle to succeed in singles matches.
‘Our team started off slow in doubles and we soon realized that nothing good would come out of it so we just focused and won our singles matches,’ Agababian said.
Bentzer shared the same sentiments with Agababian admitting that the Anteaters were ‘very weak in doubles and didn’t play at all the way we wanted too.’ Bentzer was happy with the results of singles matches.
‘Everyone really stepped up and we really came out well in singles.’ Bentzer said.
Coach Mike Edles was extremely pleased with Broadfoot and Rijic’s performances in their doubles match.
‘This is only their second match and they’re 2-0 now,’ Edles said.
Edles was also pleased with the intensity the Anteaters put forth in their singles matches.
According to Edles, Bentzer’s performance was ‘stellar’ as he claims she ‘consistently performs at an extremely high level.’
‘[Bentzer] took apart a very good player,’ Edles said.
Since the team is relatively young with five freshmen, Edles hopes that freshmen learn one important tenet to the game: ‘You have to give 100 percent, 100 percent of the time, or you’re gonna get beat.’
The Anteaters are currently ranked No. 74.