Sports in Brief

Track & Field at Mt. SAC Relays
Walnut, Calif. – April 15 – The UC Irvine Men’s and Women’s Track and Field team made individual marks at the Mt. Sac Relays this past weekend.
Senior Kim Ramirez placed third in her sectional race with a time of 4.23.20 and 10th overall in the 1,500m.
Ramirez ran the fifth fastest 1500m time in Anteater history.
Ramirez was also named Big West Athlete of the Week.
Junior distance runners Ricky Barnes and Tom Whelan placed 27th and 35th respectfully, overall in the men’s 1500m.
Junior John Kluve placed with an overall 24th finish in the 3,000m steeplechase.
UCI’s Track and Field team also competed at the California Invitational Decathlon.
Sophomore long jumper Eric Nyberg placed seventh in the Decathlon with a total of 6,244 points.
Sophomore James Lehigh finished eleventh while senior Trent Richert placed sixteenth.
Baseball Ties its Series Against UCR
Riverside, Calif. – April 16 – The UC Irvine Baseball team defeated UC Riverside at the Riverside Sports Center, 5-2.
UCI senior pitcher Justin Cassel played an integral part during the game to help lift the Anteaters to a win to even the series against UCR. It also lifts UCI’s record, 17-16 overall and 3-
5 in the Big West. The Anteaters will be back home April 29 against Cal State Northridge at Anteater Ballpark.
W. Tennis No. 5 Seed Entering Big West Championship
Irvine, Calif. – April 15 – The UC Irvine Women’s Tennis team was picked as the No. 5 seed going into the Big West Championships.
They will face off against the No. 4 seed, Cal Poly San Luis Obispo on April 22 in the quarterfinals at the Indian Wells Tennis Garden in Indian Wells.
The BW Championship will take place from April 21-24.
Last season the Anteaters placed second overall in the BW Championship when they were defeated by Long Beach State.

Men’s Tennis Heads to Big West Championships as No. 1 Seed
Irvine, Calif.