Greek Life Underreported

Since its inception, UC Irvine has always lacked the school spirit that has characterized the other UC schools. Students are often quick to noticed the lack of social events on campus.
There are a number of reasons for UCI’s lack of unification. One is the fact that UCI has the largest commuter population of all UC campuses, making it difficult for student groups to host on-campus activities on weekends.
For years, the New University has sought to increase school spirit by covering events that interest the general student population.
However, there is one group of students on campus that has consistently been overlooked in the pages of the New University: fraternities and sororities.
Despite the fact that fraternity and sorority members comprise a relatively large portion of the student body, Greek organizations have received less attention than many other organizations of comparable size.
You may see the occasional advertisement in the Calendar of Events section listing one or two philanthropic events hosted by fraternities or sororities, but it does not go far beyond that.
The New University hopes to rectify this oversight with the creation of a weekly Greek feature, which will inform the general student population about charity and social events, and provide a resource for students who may be interested in getting involved with Greek life.
It is important to note that the Greek section will not exclusively provide a venue for Greeks to further their own causes. It is intended to draw attention to both the good and bad aspects of fraternity and sorority life.
The section editor will be selected by the New University editorial board based on his or her objectivity, as well as other criteria. By attempting to appoint an unbiased section editor, we hope to provide coverage similar to that which you would find in existing sections of the newspaper.
While we are not promoting students to rush, the exposure of events hosted by Greeks who are members of the Interfraternity Council and Panhellenic will hopefully elicit a better turnout of students.
Furthermore, the amount of promoting that goes into Greek events will strengthen the relationship between the UCI campus and businesses in the area.
The New University does not view Greek organizations neither more nor less favorably than any other on-campus entity.
In the future, the New University may see fit to include similar sections devoted exclusively to the activities of the Associated Students of UCI, the cross-cultural clubs or other student organizations, but it is presently our feeling that these groups have received more consistent coverage than the Greek societies, and will continue to receive fair coverage in the news, features and entertainment sections.
As a growing campus, we should look to groups who will consistently encourage student involvement. ‘Rushing’ events held by fraternities and sororities nearly every quarter will continue to grow in the coming years, making the presence of these groups even more integral.

Send comments to
editor@newuniversity.org. Include your name, year and major.