Sports in Brief

W. Tennis Finishes Third in Big West Championships
Irvine, Calif. – April 24 – The No. 5 seed UC Irvine Women’s Tennis team finished in third place at the Big West Championship tournament with a 4-2 win against the No. 2 seed UC Santa Barbara.
This is the Anteaters fourth consecutive year with a top-three finish in the Big West.
M. Tennis Big West Champions for the 12th Time Ever
Indian Wells, Calif. – April 24 – The No. 1 UC Irvine Men’s Tennis team beat No. 2 seed the University of Pacific to take home the Big West Championship title with a 4-3 win.
The Anteaters won the doubles point and three of their singles matches to squeeze out their 12th UCI Big West Men’s Championship win. The determining match who would decide the winner came down to UCI’s junior Olof Sjolund in court five in the singles match where he won 7-6(8), 6-0.
The last time UCI won the championship was in 1993.
Baseball Beats Sacramento State to Continue Winning Streak
Sacramento, Calif. – April 24 – The UC Irvine Baseball team raked in their fifth consecutive win when they defeated Sacramento State, 4-3 at Hornet Field.
The game ended in overtime when senior Danny Miramontes brought in the eventual game-winning run in the eighth inning.
The Anteaters improved their overall record, 21-16 and will go head-to-head against UCLA on April 26 at Los Angeles.
UCIs Track and Field Athletes Shine at Invite
La Jolla, Calif. – April 24 – The UC Irvine Track and Field team had individual highlights at the UC San Diego Triton Invitational.
Senior Kimberly Harper won the Long Jump with a mark of 18-8 and junior Ricky Barnes placed second in the 800m race.
UCI will next host the Steve Scott Invitational on April 29 at Anteater Stadium.
W. Golf Wins Second-Ever Big West Championship
Rancho Santa Margarita, Calif. – April 19 – The UC Irvine Women’s Golf team was victorious at the 2005 Big West Championships as it won it all.
UCI was the only team to shoot under 300 in all three rounds for a total of 894 points.
Five Anteaters finished in the top 10, with freshman Selanee Henderson placing the highest at second, Angela Won placed fourth, Jane Chin and Carling Cho tied for seventh and Kim Lorenzana rounded out the list with a tenth place finish.
Won and Henderson were honored by making the All-Big West first team.
This is Won’s third time being named into this honor.
Chin and Cho were named into the Big West Second team.