Correa Tackles The Down and Dirty

I took Kassia Wosick-Correa’s class, Sociology 69 (The Sociology of Sexuality), and I could only describe it as amazing. It was a culture shock for somebody who is from Japan, a country where people don’t talk about sex in public.
She curses in class while talking about her personal sexual experiences. Before I went to this evening class, I had a lot of reservations about the content that was going to be covered. But it ended up being very entertaining and proved to be a great hands-on experience.
The New University sat down with Wosick-Correa to hear her advice on life decisions.

New University: What are you studying?

Wosick-Correa: I am currently working on my dissertation, which focuses on how monogamous and nonmonogamous relationships negotiate sexual fidelity, commitment, love, honesty and jealousy.

New U.: How did you become a professor?

Wosick-Correa: When I started graduate school, I didn’t know what I wanted to do. Since I was young, I kind of wanted to be a professor, and when I did teaching assistant jobs, I liked it and did well. So I feel at home when I stand in front of students. When you feel it, you do it. That’s when I decided.

New U.: How did you choose your specialty?
Wosick-Correa: When I came in, I thought about studying race and ethnicity and I was told to write what I want to do, and I kept coming back to the sexuality thing. So I thought, ‘Why don’t I do it and see how it goes?’

New U.: Was it difficult to address an audience about your personal experiences regarding sex?

Wosick-Correa: Yes, I have to admit that it was hard. But a co-worker reminded me that visibility is important. If students learn through my experience, then that’s enough and it’s always qualified. Lead by example.
The first couple of times, it was hard. A couple of students came to me and talked about their experiences, which encouraged me to be more open.

New U.: What is difficult about studying sex?

Wosick-Correa: Some people don’t take it seriously. They expect you to be an expert. Students come to me and ask questions, which forces me to be responsible about my answers.
If you study race and ethnicity, students don’t ask you questions like, ‘Tell me how to be black,’ or ‘What do I have to do to be a better Asian?’ But to me, they ask questions like, ‘How can I give good blow jobs?’

New U.: Some college students say that they don’t know what they want to do in the future. They say that they don’t like to study. But you are doing what you love. What message would you give to students in that same predicament?

Wosick-Correa: When I was an undergrad, I didn’t know what I wanted to do. I think that we have that idea that we have to know. I was in those shoes. You have to know that you’re here at this university for a reason and it might not be to get a good job. Maybe it’s to learn what you don’t like, because that’s how I am where I am today.
Before, I thought differently about my future. I thought I’d live in Santa Cruz and be a seal biologist. It is not the destination, but the journey.
I think that there are so many students who forget they are in college.