Schneider: From Hot Chicks to Male Gigolos

Actor/writer/comedian Rob Schneider is quite aware of the predicament of the comedy sequel. Though his new movie ‘Deuce Bigalow: European Gigolo,’ which opens this summer on August 12, will be his first sequel, Schneider seems to be an authority on the subject.
‘It is hard to make a comedy sequel,’ Schneider said. ‘But there is one comedy sequel that is better than the first and that’s ‘Pink Panther Strikes Again.’ When I first watched that, I laughed my balls off.’
From the set of his current project, a movie called ‘The Benchwarmers’ with Craig Kilborn and ‘Napoleon Dynamite’ star John Heder, Schneider assures that though his famous gigolo character is no Clouseau, his summer sequel will not let down anyone who enjoyed the first.
‘This one’s a little more extreme,’ Schneider said. ‘We have a girl who’s from Chernobyl, so she’s got a huge cock on her face. There’s a veil though.’
This summer comedy features the same undesirable male prostitute, Deuce Bigalow, whom Schneider created back in 1999. In this movie, however, Deuce heads to Amsterdam where he competes with fellow European gigolos in a series of dates with unfortunately disfigured and oddly sized women, all in an effort to clear the name of his former pimp, played by Eddie Griffin.
‘He’s very funny, especially in this movie. He’s a really classic performer,’ Schneider said of Griffin.
In an odd twist of fate, former commercial director Mike Bigalow, whose work and name have no connection to the original, took the helm as director, his first on a feature film. Schneider has clearly been asked a lot about the name and did not share my enthusiasm for the coincidence.
‘His kids were tortured by the first one, so they let him direct this one,’ Schneider joked.
‘European Gigolo’ was shot entirely in Amsterdam, where the majority of the movie takes place. Schneider spoke positively of the city, learning more about the people than the legalized drugs and prostitution.
‘I loved it,’ Schneider said. ‘It’s a beautiful city. It was difficult to work there sometimes. The crews don’t work the same. For overtime, they vote about whether to keep working or go home. But I understand it when I see these crew guys going down on a boat in this beautiful place and think, ‘Hey, their time off is valuable.”
Schneider has been in the comedy business for a good 20 years, first getting his public notice as a comedian on ‘The Late Show with David Letterman’ in 1982. But it wasn’t until his four seasons on ‘Saturday Night Live,’ from 1990 to 1994, that the comedian rose to a level of stardom out of which he could make a career.
‘It was like being in a ‘You’ve Made It Club.’ I haven’t watched it since I left. But Amy Poehler’s on it, who’s funny,’ Schneider said.
Though Schneider doesn’t seem to enjoy talking about his time at SNL very much, he spoke of how it became a part of him and how it solidified his professional and personal friendships even after his departure.
‘Sometimes when I’m at home at one in the morning and trying to roll what’s left of a joint, I’ll get an idea, run for a piece of paper and think that I can use it for Saturday. But I can’t anymore. So then I just call Adam [Sandler],’ Schneider said.
Close friends Schneider and Sandler have known each other for 30 years. Their professional relationship began on SNL, and continued through their many movies together. Sandler, whom Schneider calls a ‘real comic genius,’ produces all of Schneider’s movies for his company. And as many of his fans know, Schneider can be found in many of Sandler’s movies, often chiming in with the same memorable phrases, starting back with ‘The Waterboy.’
‘After saying ‘You can do it,’ [Sandler] said, ‘In two weeks you won’t be able to go anywhere without hearing, ‘You can do it!” Now we put it in every movie, which is a little ridiculous,’ said Schneider.
Since the first ‘Deuce Bigalow’ movie, Schneider has become more prevalant in Sandler movies and proven that he can carry a movie as the lead, creating a niche for himself as a self-deprecating loser often found in extraordinary situations.
‘I liked ’50 First Dates’ with Sandler,’ Schneider said. ”The Hot Chick’ was fun, too. I love to work. Those girls were really fun, real guy’s girls. You could just hang with them. Good sense of humor and they laugh at everything I say, which is nice.’
Despite Schneider’s long career, the actor explained how it is on the set of ‘The Benchwarmers,’ in which he has benefited the most from the perks of being and actor.
‘I’m a big fan of baseball,’ said Schneider. ‘In this movie ‘The Benchwarmers,’ we just did a scene with Reggie Jackson. We have the same hero, Willie Mays, so Reggie gets him on the phone and I got to meet one of my heroes. I met the last two presidents and they don’t even hold a candle to Willie Mays.’
After ‘The Benchwarmers,’ Schneider plans to take some time off, maybe go to Cuba and buy some old movie posters.
When asked whether he has ever met any real-life gigolos, Schneider answered, ‘Only Richard Gere.’
‘Deuce Bigalow: European Gigolo’ comes out August 12 in theaters everywhere.