Ban on Alcohol Fails to Control Consumption

Recently, UC Berkeley banned alcohol consumption at events hosted by all sororities and fraternities on campus. This decision was reached after a string of illegal activities took place at Greek events, such as hazing, underage drinking and violence.
Ranked first among public universities in the United States, Berkeley has always been known for its liberal environment filled with some of the brightest minds in the nation.
This prestigious and highly respected institution is the Western center for unique and often outlandish opinions.
This institution has needed to deal with recent reckless behavior in Berkeley’s Greek community.
In early April, an intoxicated 19-year-old pledge for the Pi Kappa Phi fraternity was violently hazed by three members of the fraternity, then shot over 30 times with a BB gun.
Similarly disturbing events include a Greek-sponsored ‘booze cruise’ that resulted in severely intoxicated students and notification of the local authorities.
Many members of the Greek community at Berkeley believe that the ban will be impossible to enforce, and they couldn’t be more correct.
It will be difficult for the administration to regulate situations where alcohol is present because students can always find a way around the rule