From ‘The Sandlot’ to ‘Airbud’: The Ups and Downs of Sports Movie

One of the best ways to get an idea across is through a visual aid.
That’s exactly what movies do: they deliver a message. It’s the best way to advertise anything, even sports.
But often things are lost in translation in the transfer to the big screen. I’ve noticed that this occurs more often than one may think, especially when sports are involved.
Don’t get me wrong; I’m not saying that every movie about a sport is necessarily bad or misinterpreting how the game is played and what it’s all about.
A good example is ‘The Sandlot,’ which is one of my personal favorites. It’s the story of a group of kids that live for baseball. The game and the team are the only things that matter.
Well, of course there was the threat and fear of the ‘Beast,’ a thought-to-be boy-eating dog that lived next to the baseball field, but that was an unusual circumstance that eventually tied itself back into the team.
And who can forget ‘Miracle?’ It’s the most recent movie about sports that caught my attention, mostly because it’s about hockey.
This movie tells the story of the 1980 U.S. Olympic hockey team. The movie does more than just make people smile. It inspires them to go out and smack around a puck for a while even if they never gave hockey a second thought prior to seeing it.
And while I’m talking about hockey, what kind of fan would I be if I went on without mentioning ‘The Mighty Ducks’ or the two sequels that followed it?
These movies portray the story about underdogs that band together, under the leadership of a seasoned player, and come out on top. I know it seems like a generic plotline. I mean, ‘Dodgeball’ tried to dish out the same kind of underdog story.
But ‘The Mighty Ducks’ was another one of those movies that makes you want to get up and play.
It’s just unfortunate that the team’s skill in the movie is not always seen in the NHL