HomeNewsNews in Brief

News in Brief

Students Awarded Scholarships
This year, eight UC Irvine undergraduate students were awarded some of the nation’s most prestigious scholarships and fellowships. The award recipients include three Barry M. Goldwater scholars, three Fulbright scholars, a Donald A. Strauss scholar and a Merage American Dream fellow.
The Barry M. Goldwater scholarship program encourages exceptional students to pursue careers in engineering, mathematics and the natural sciences. Among the recipients are information and computer science major Arthur Asuncion, Jr., medical engineering student Danielle Issa and double major in biological science and dance Vicky Zhou.
The U.S. Fulbright scholarship fosters mutual understanding between nations. It allows students and professors to study overseas. The recipients include psychology and social behavior graduate David Hallowell, international studies student Tatyana Martell and comparative literature and European studies student Catherine Nguyen.
The Donald A. Strauss Public Service Scholarship Foundation funds public service projects for California juniors. Biochemistry and molecular biology student Vivek Mehta was among the recipients.
The Merage American Dream promotes continuing education and career opportunities for immigrants desiring leadership roles in business, education, science, public service, culture and the arts. Political science major Mayte Santacruz Benavidez won the scholarship.