350

Condoleezza Rice Honors UCI Professor
Michael Prather, a professor at the University of California, Irvine and an internationally recognized expert on global climate changes, was selected by U.S. Secretary of State Condeleezza Rice as one of five recipients of the prestigious Jefferson Science Fellowship award.
Prather will spend a year in Washington, D.C. to assist the Department of State in formulating and implementing foreign policy through his expertise on environmental issues.
The Jefferson Science Fellowship is awarded to U.S. academic scientists and engineers from institutions of higher learning. Each recipient is given $50,000 for research.
UCI Receives $9 Million to Research Alzheimer’s Disease
The National Institute on Aging has awarded UC Irvine $9 million to continue its research on the causes, cognitive functioning and treatment of Alzheimer’s disease. The Alzheimer’s Disease Research Center grant will support over 30 UCI researchers and renew the expiring $6 million NIA grant.
ADRC was established in 2000 to promote further understanding of Alzheimer’s disease. The program uses the latest technology to collect and analyze biological information.
Alzheimer’s is caused by the buildup of lesions in the brain and affects nearly 5 million Americans. It is the most common form of dementia and is the third leading cause of death in the United States.