ASUCI Legislative Council Approves Annual Budget by 9-1 Vote

On June 2, the 2005-06 budget of the Associated Students of the University of California, Irvine was approved by its Legislative Council with a vote of 9-1.
Most of ASUCI’s funds come from a mandatory $54 annual undergraduate student fee, which brings in a total of $1,060,125. An additional $46,284 is provided by the vendor fairs and by UCItems.
ASUCI divides funds between ‘internal’ and ‘external’ expenditures, which next year will total $1,001,224 and $105,184 respectively.
Internal expenditures include ‘programs which benefit the entire student body, from major concerts to fighting for financial aid to striving for cheaper and better food,’ said Zachary Avallone, executive vice president elect.
The largest internal expenditure by far was ‘general administration,’ for which $439,414 was allocated.
The budget, which was drafted by an assembly of members of the outgoing and incoming executive officers, was first presented at a May 31 meeting, during which representatives from campus organizations could request more funds.
ASUCI granted all but two such requests: a $3,000 request from the American Advertising Federation, which was denied because of a technicality, and a $500 request from Students for Science and Skepticism.
At-Large Representative Shawn Augsburger spoke on behalf of Students for Science and Skepticism at the meeting. He was also the only Legislative Council member to vote against the budget.
‘I obviously felt snubbed … but I also found some internal spending questionable, such as sponsoring professor luncheons when academic departments also offer similar events,’ Augsburger said.
Augsburger also felt that the ‘small profile’ of his group and a ‘poor working relationship’ with other ASUCI members influenced the decision.
The biggest external allocation was for the Alternative Media Board, which successfully lobbied for a $5,000 increase from last year’s allocated funding of $11,500.
Alternative Media Board Student Director Tran Ly was pleased with the outcome, though the group’s original request was for $28,000.
‘We are as important, if not more [important than other campus groups],’ Ly said. ‘We are an extension of them. The cultural, social, political, academic and professional clubs