Lack of Proper Coverage for Ebadi’s Visit

I was deeply disappointed in the article regarding the recent visit of Shirin Ebadi. Such a woman who has committed her life to the bettering of human rights for women and children, and due to the fact has won the very prestigious and internationally renowned Nobel Peace Prize, did not receive the appropriate amount of attention she deserves. Not only does the preceding apply, but her words were very much taken out of context as well, and one student’s opinion was used to close the argument in a negative light.
Such a characteristic is not even appropriate for a news article. Examples of excerpts of her speech taken out of context are many. I will discuss a few. First off, the writer begins to address problems that the Honorable Judge Ebadi feels dire, beginning with the lack of democracy in the Middle East. This is correct; many governments in the Middle East believe that democracy is incompatible with Islam, yet her words are not finished. She finished her thought by stating that Islam is more compatible with democracy and human rights than dictatorship, which is actually negated by Islam.
The point discussing the consequences of those who criticize the government is also taken out of context. The effect is mentioned, but the writer fails to mention the cause of such action. The situation is that certain governments in the Middle East may assume an Islamic rule, and therefore believe their interpretation of Islam is the only just interpretation, ruling out other Islamic scholars’ interpretations. Therefore, any form of criticism is seen as blasphemy because it is in that context an attack on Islam. There are a few outright mistakes that are also present. The first is that there is no ‘law which clearly defines women as being worth half a man’ in Iran.
The examples are correct, but there is no such law that outright states such an occurrence.
There are only disadvantages to women that reinforce a misinterpretation of Islam by the government. Also, Judge Ebadi stated that there were many religions nationally recognized by Iran, yet certain religions, such as Bahai’i, were examples of persecuted religions that were not regarded as national religions. For a woman of such magnitude