The New Kids at the

Whether you were one of those hotshot basketball players back in high school or are just someone looking to get in some exercise between classes, the Anteater Recreation Center is where you need to be this quarter.
In the past, the ARC has offered all UCI students, staff and faculty classes and equipment they need to continue their athletic endeavors. This year will be no exception.
New and continuing students alike should be made aware of the many intramural and club sport competitions the ARC has to offer.
Intramural teams are made up of groups of UCI students that play against each other. Club sports, however, represent UCI compete with other schools’ club teams. In the past, groups involved in intramurals included housing complexes such as Mesa Court and Middle Earth, sororities, fraternities and even just groups of friends.
‘It’s a way to get people to come out and help them build leadership and communication,’ said Johnson Pok, the intramural director for campus recreation. ‘We try to get people together and have a good time.’
Intramural teams are separated into two groups; leagues and tournaments. Most leagues last about five weeks and have an average about eight players per team. Tournaments, on the other hand, do not have a fixed time of competition. According to Pok, tournaments can last for many weeks or are as short as one day.
League sports offered this fall include indoor soccer, flag football, volleyball, 3-on-3 basketball and 5-on-5 basketball. Most leagues are offered in both coed and single gender formats.
The tournaments being offered this fall include sorority bowling, 7-on-7 soccer, tennis singles, team tennis, racquetball singles and ultimate frisbee.
It’s not just about building teams and getting exercise, however. Those teams that are champions of the aforementioned leagues are given prizes and acknowledgment by the ARC to commemorate their success. These prizes vary from t-shirts to plaques, like the one Mesa Court won last year by defeating Middle Earth in the housing competition.
If you’re not interested in intramurals or club sports, don’t rule out the ARC just yet. The ARC offers a wide selection of classes from categories like dance and martial arts to sports such as golf, swimming and tennis.
The ARC’s fall hours will resume on Sept. 19 and can be found on the Campus Recreation Web site at http://www.campusrec.uci.edu/. During the hours of operation, students have access to the outdoor sites associated with the ARC, including the basketball courts, swimming pool, hockey rink, tennis courts and sports fields. Certain classes, clubs and teams have facilities reserved at times. Those hours can also be found on the Campus Recreation Web site.
Most upperclassmen are aware of the main gym being shut down this summer because of bad water damage that required the entire floor to be replaced. Luckily, most of the work is nearly complete and the floor’s looking better than ever. If all goes well, the main gym will be up and ready for Late Night this Wednesday.
In addition, new features to the ARC this year are going to leave even upperclassmen bedazzled. Construction of a new high-rope and low-rope course is underway. This new course, known as Team Up, will be ready this year for UCI students’ use. It’s hoped that it will help develop teamwork and communication skills between students.
Many freshmen now face the needs that every other student at UCI is facing: the need for money. Once again, the ARC comes to the rescue by offering various jobs and great salaries. Most jobs around the ARC are evening shifts, giving you time to fit them in after classes. They also start at $8 an hour, which is more than you’d start earning at most jobs around campus.
Still unsure about whether or not this is the thing for you? Just come by the ARC during Welcome Week and take one of their tours, which generally run throughout the day.
Don’t hesitate too long though. League sign-ups are coming up and tend to fill up fast. Sign-ups begin Friday, Sept. 23 and end Tuesday, October fourth at 1:00 p.m. The officials’ meeting for volleyball is Sept. 29 at 6:00 p.m. The meeting for indoor soccer, flag footbal, and basketball are on the 30th at 5:00 p.m., 6:30 p.m, and 8:30 p.m.