A Student Journalist Travels

One hundred fifteen-degree weather, a camera, a notebook and dozens of Ein Gedi water bottles were all I needed to experience Israel.
But the scorching hot weather didn’t stop us from visiting almost every holy site sacred to three of the world’s largest religions. Jerusalem is a truly fascinating place for those interested in reliving stories from the Holy Bible along with places that were once locations of intense turmoil like the Golan Heights.
I landed at Ben Gurion Airport in Tel Aviv on the eve of Israel’s disengagement from the Gaza Strip. Stepping out of the terminal I felt the weight of the 3 a.m. heat and humidity on my bare skin.
First stop: Nof Ginosar. This ‘kibbutz’ (Hebrew for ‘communal settlement’) is situated close to Jerusalem in a secluded area near the shore of the Sea of Galilee. Kibbutzim was founded on the principle of providing mutual aid and social equality for all of its members. Socioeconomic systems of these communal areas are based on the principles of joint ownership of property, cooperation of production and education. Each kibbutz often specializes in a particular trade or skill such as making textiles for retail sale.
The rooms at Nof Ginosar were much like your Mesa Court or Middle Earth dorm rooms