UCI Police Chief Predicts Low Crime

Following the release of the Jeanne Clery Crime Statistics for the past three years, Chief of Police Paul Henisey of the UC Irvine Police Department expressed his views that this year’s crime rate at UCI will remain steady.
The Jeanne Clery Crime Statistics requires that all universities provide reports on criminal homicide, sexual offense, robbery, aggravated assault, burglary, motor vehicle theft and arson.
At the time of this writing, in 2005, there have been zero reports for criminal homicide, two for sexual offense, zero for robbery, zero for aggravated assault, 53 for burglary, 21 for motor vehicle theft and one for arson.
The statistics for UCI’s complete criminal activity by the end of 2005 are estimated to be zero for criminal homicide, three for sexual offense, zero for robbery, zero for aggravated assault, 71 for burglary, 28 for motor vehicle theft and one for arson; totaling 103 crimes.
According to the national crime rate statistics, the total crime in the city of Irvine is below the national average of suburban cities with 486.3 crimes total, in addition to being below the national average of rural towns with 303.7 crimes.
Henisey felt that UCI’s low crime rate is correlated to the low crime rate in Irvine in general.
‘UCI has a lower crime rate compared to other UCs because of the city it is located in,’ Henisey stated. ‘Our crime rate is a reflection, a product of our city. The city of Irvine is ranked as one of the top 100 safest cities nationwide.’
While it is estimated that Irvine’s number of burglaries will be 71, an increase compared to 2004’s 59 burglaries, Henisey noted that the number is still below the 125 burglaries of 2002.
‘There are increases in criminal activity. However, we are dealing with numbers too small to state that there is a significant increase,’ Henisey said. ‘Most of the crimes are done by the same criminal, so it is important that that criminal is found. We are working for a better crime-prevention program, and there are a higher number of police officers working to prevent crime.’
To avoid burglaries, it is advised that students do not leave belongings in areas where others can see.
‘To prevent motor-vehicle theft and burglary, students should not leave their personal gear where it is visible in their cars or by windows,’ Henisey stated. ‘Theft of cell phones and electronic devices are most common. By keeping an eye on your personal belongs, you are preventing criminal opportunities.’
Henisey noted that most criminal activities that occur on campus are not done by UCI students. The crimes that UCI students are charged most for are illegal possession or use of drugs and alcohol.
‘The crimes that occur on campus are usually by non-UCI students who simply walk onto the campus and commit a crime,’ Henisey said. ‘The criminal activities that are most common among UCI students are possession and use of drugs or alcohol on campus. In these cases, individuals cannot care for their own safety, so we come in contact with them to take care of the situation.’
Henisey encouraged students who are aware of crime but are afraid to come forward with information.
‘If students know of any crime, they should report to a police officer the location of the crime incident. By doing so, students help catch the perpetrator and stop crime from occurring elsewhere,’ Henisey said. ‘I know that many students fear for their safety. However, retaliation is not common.’
Henisey said that the UCIPD continues to make both UCI and the Irvine community safe.
‘We’re emphasizing crime prevention, focusing on community-based policing where problems occur, and have an increased number of staff,’ Henisey said. ‘Our campus and community are very safe and continues to maintain a safe profile as a result of the strong community cooperation with the police and vice versa.’