Celebrate Singles Awareness Day This 14th

I have a date this Valentine’s Day. His name is English Paper and he is probably going to keep me up all night. But other than that, I will probably not be participating in any other Valentine’s Day festivities. It is just a regular Tuesday, after all.
There is more hand-holding, hugging and kissing than usual and perhaps more flowers and flooded seas of red, pink and white down grocery candy aisles, but besides that—yes, just another Tuesday. So, I have decided this year to celebrate a different holiday this Feb. 14. A holiday called Singles Awareness Day, for all you single men and women with midterms and papers as your dates. I’ll give you the reasons why you should revel in the single life and celebrate along with me.
Time and Opportunities. As college students, our heavy load of obligations and responsibilities have taught us that time is of the essence. Factor in a relationship, and time flies even faster.
Of course, there are those who will testify that time is not wasted if it is time well-spent, and I will not contest that.
But as rewarding as having a significant other can be, it is time-consuming. Therefore, being single gives you the time that being in a relationship cannot. More time to translate the opportunities you’ve thought of doing into action and more time to invest into growing as a person.
Whether it be through joining a campus organization, looking into the Education Abroad Program, taking a job, traveling, playing more guitar, sleeping in, shopping or just catching up on television, what better gift can you give yourself this holiday than the free time you deserve?
Expenses. According to the U.S. Census Bureau, the combined wholesale value of domestically produced cut roses in February 2004 for all businesses in 36 states was $43 million.
In February 2005, jewelry stores in the United States sold a total of $2.4 billion worth of merchandise. And lastly, the total value of shipments in February 2003 for firms producing chocolate and cocoa products was $13.5 billion. If the numbers do not already say it, Valentine’s Day is one big commercially expensive holiday. So rest assured, if you’re missing out on anything, by spending this Valentine’s Day alone, it’s an empty wallet. Instead, make the most of your money. It’s Taco Tuesday! Take a trip to Del Taco and go crazy.
Patience. There is a proverb that says, ‘All good things come to those who wait.’ As cliche as it is, it is not followed as often as it said.
Yet, one of the greatest aspects of being young and single is that you are not racing against the clock. In due time, you will find your life-partner and settle down. But until then, breathe and enjoy life independently. Live life by your terms and let the unexpected surprise you.
Ultimately, tacking the word ‘happy’ before Valentine’s Day is not worth much, unless it is with someone you truly are happy to spend it with. So until you do, why bother with a semi-happy this-will-do Valentine’s when there are plans for a better one?
History. Legend has it, the origin of Valentine’s Day came from St. Valentine, a priest in third-century Rome. Emperor Claudius II had banned marriage from his empire, claiming single men made stronger soldiers. In defiance, St. Valentine continued to marry couples in secrecy. Once Claudius discovered this, he had St. Valentine sentenced and beheaded. While in prison, St. Valentine is said to have fallen in love with the jailer’s daughter.
Before he was killed, he gave her one last letter, signed ‘From your Valentine,’ which has carried itself into our modern holiday.
However, there has yet to be any historical evidence to support the accuracy of this story.
For all we known, Hallmark could have made this story up to increase card sales. But if we are truly celebrating love in the name of St. Valentine, why confine it to one day?
Love for friends, significant others and family should be a continual celebration.

Amy Nguyen is a second-year English major. She can be reached at amypn@uci.edu.