Share Our Selves in Santa Ana

Partying in Rosarito was no spring break ideal for some UC Irvine students on a mission. While classmates hit the beach, volunteers for the Share Our Selves Medical Clinic of Costa Mesa were busy launching a community health fair to combat youth obesity.
Share Our Selves is a nonprofit medical clinic that offers free medical and dental care to community members. The health fair offered free measurements of weight, height, Body Mass Index and screening for diabetes for kids.
The event was the product of a collaboration between students from Mater Dei High School in Santa Ana and UC Irvine student volunteers at Share Our Selves, with financial assistance from the Walt Disney Co.
In celebration of Disneyland’s 50th anniversary, Disney has offered grants for nonprofit organizations to partner with local high schools to host public service projects.
‘Disney helps shed light on wonderful organizations. It’s great for us to use our name and reflect on students and organizations,’ said Ryan Giannetta, a councilmember on the Disney VoluntEARs Leadership Council.
Vivek Mehta, a fourth-year biochemistry and molecular biology major and a volunteer at the Costa Mesa-based organization, sees the health clinic as a step toward combating childhood obesity.
‘It is great that the clinic can treat [adults] for free, but we see their kids coming with them and they are also overweight.