A Vegan Bake Sale to Protect Animals

Last week, you may have seen the Animal Rights Club hosting a cruelty-free bake sale on Ring Road. The cookies being sold were shaped like Easter eggs and bunnies decorated in various pastel-colored frosting.
‘They’re completely vegan,’ said Alicia Langton, president of the Animal Rights Club and fourth-year environmental analysis and design major. ‘That means no eggs, dairy or any animal by-products were used make the cookies.’
The club members had decided that a vegan bake sale would help to inform people about animal cruelty.
‘I think [the bake sale] is a great way to promote cruelty-free food so people can know that vegan foods taste good and that they aren’t harming any animals when they eat it,’ said Carmen Vasquez, vice president of the Animal Rights Club and third-year psychology and social behavior and criminology, law and society double major.
The Animal Rights Club wanted to raise awareness about what they feel is animal cruelty that takes place during Easter.
‘We wanted to do this before Easter so people can think about while they are painting their eggs that hens producing eggs are forced to endure a lot of suffering because they are cramped into cages and they never get the change to spread their wings, while the male chicks are often discarded and ground up alive,’ Langton said.
UC Irvine students didn’t seem to notice that the cookies were missing some of the usual ingredients.
‘The cookies taste really good and I can’t even tell they’re vegan,’ said Tova Hack, third-year sociology major, who bought two bunny-shaped cookies.
Along with the cookies were various pamphlets being passed out about animal cruelty and the benefits of a vegan lifestyle. One flier titled ‘Think you can be a meat-eating environmentalist? Think again!’ talked about how the meat industry affects pollution, land, water, global warming and energy.
For example, it stated that ‘the meat industry causes more water pollution in the United States than all other industries combined because animals raised for food produce 130 times more excrement than the entire human population does—86,000 pounds per second.’ Some pamphlets were filled with bloody animals from pictures taken in the factory farms.
‘The pamphlets really opened my eyes because the pictures shock you into reality. I can’t believe that baby pigs have their testicles ripped out without painkillers. I think I will probably decrease my meat consumption after reading this,’ said Christine Molina, fourth-year biological sciences major.
‘I think the vegan lifestyle is hard to live because it seems everything has something from an animal in it,’ said second-year English major Joshua Ching.
Vasquez also pointed out that the vegan lifestyle is beneficial for a person’s health.
‘It’s also about your health. A lot of nasty stuff happens in factory farms. They’re consumers and have the right and responsibility to know about what’s in their food,’ Vasquez said.
The money raised at the bake sale will be donated to animal rights causes. The Animal Rights Club meets on Wednesdays at 7 p.m. in SST 238.