Greek Songfest 2006 Musical Theater for a Good Cause

By the end of this year’s Songfest, in which fraternities pair up with sororities to present bite-sized portions of nine famous musicals, the audience had heard the shrieks of pride from many students expressing their Greek pride. But those Greeks involved in Songfest had an even greater reason for which they could be proud.
After 27 years of Songfests, over $200,000 total has been donated to various charities, and countless hours of the Greeks’ time have been spent helping those less fortunate. This year, the chosen charity was Mercy House, which, according to the organization, helps provide ‘housing and comprehensive supportive services for a variety of homeless populations that includes families, adult men and women, mothers and their children, persons living with HIV/AIDS, individuals overcoming substance addictions and some who are physically and mentally disabled.’
Opening the show, Pi Beta Phi and Sigma Alpha Epsilon’s ‘Movin’ Out’ instantly rewarded listeners with group vocals which were surprisingly and consistently on target. As ‘Movin’ Out’ is based around the classic rock songs of Billy Joel, this proved to be essential to the 12-minute musical’s success. Presenting a believable storyline in 12 minutes for a full-length musical which itself had a vague storyline, though, is a tall order. But creating sympathetic characters is not the point of a quick musical such as this one. Rather, the singing and dancing must entertain. ‘Pressure,’ set onstage to a Vietnam War battle, seared with anger and attitude. From this longtime Billy Joel fan, I can confidently say that Pi Beta Phi and Sigma Alpha Epsilon did justice to these classic songs, especially with one soloist’s warm rendition of ‘Just the Way You Are,’ and in spite of the crazy hyena screams which one castmember used to introduce ‘Keeping the Faith.’
‘The Rocky Horror Picture Show’ has generated a cult following, and decades after the almost incomprehensibly weird movie was first shown, it still resonates with audiences young and old today. As long as a cast has fun with it, no ‘Rocky Horror’ production can go wrong. After the first few minutes of the musical began, it was clear that the nerves of the Kappa Kappa Gamma and Phi Gamma Delta cast had settled and they were enjoying themselves. With the wild array of crowd-pleasing cross-dressing costumes, the compacted performance likely left any ‘Rocky Horror’ virgins speechless.
In direct contrast to a presentation of a show like ‘Rocky Horror,’ Kappa Alpha Theta and Sigma Pi’s ‘Smokey Joe’s Caf