220

As if the success of Mae’s 2005 sophomore full-length album, ‘The Everglow,’ which sold 130,000 copies in its first year alone, wasn’t enough, Mae has just rereleased the smash hit last Tuesday, now filled with bonus tracks and a DVD tracing the path of Mae from the release of ‘Destination Beautiful’ (2003) to ‘The Everglow’ (2005).
Opting out of a rousing football game with the other members of Mae and Yellowcard outside of the Kellogg Gym at Cal Poly Pomona, drummer Jacob Marshall and guitarist Zach Gehring decided to elucidate on their motivations for rereleasing ‘The Everglow.’
‘So many people have told us how much our record has affected them,’ Marshall said. ‘We wanted to give them the opportunity to see how the record was made and subsequently what has happened after that.’
One of the bonus features of The Everglow rerelease is Mae’s cover of ‘Day in the Life’ by The Beatles.
In response to covering possibly the most covered band ever, Gehring said, ‘People have [asked us], ‘Who do you think you are?”
Though their intentions are humble, Mae, like every other band, has had their share of critics.
When ‘The Everglow’ was released, Mae was blown away by comments such as ‘bore-core’ and ‘pretentious.’
‘Most of our critics are online and, well, who is actually gonna care about what critic says on punk.net?’ Gehring inquired.
Marshall confessed that criticism is actually a topic that he has been deep in thought about.
After recently coming across mixed reactions to one of Mae’s videos, Marshall was puzzled as to why half the people felt it was the best thing they had ever heard and the other half felt it was the worst. He ultimately came to understand that you have to take the bad with good.
‘It is that notion that whatever you are creating is the most important thing to you and that you believe in it, rather than it being subject to somebody else’s interpretation,’ Marshall explained.
When the five members of Mae get together and put their stamp of approval on a piece they have completed, it is that moment that ‘is the most perfect,’ Marshall said.
‘We don’t do it for the reaction, though we greatly appreciate the people who are into it,’ Marshall explained. ‘But if you allow yourself to do it for that reason explicitly then you’re setting yourself up for a fall.’
From Mae’s days of being a ‘baby band,’ taking whatever they could get and working hard for options, to now, being on the Virgin Megastore College Mega Tour 2006 with Yellowcard, the choices that they are now presented with torments them.
‘We are looking at 10 different producers for our next album, but picking one means not picking the other nine,’ Marshall said.
To Marshall, selling out can be quantified as when ‘you are trying to create because you think other people will like it.’
Being a ‘sell-out’ is a term that Mae hopes to never be identified with. Yet, what should happen if Mae ever were to sell out?
‘Then punch me in the face,’ Marshall declared.
Though both Marshall and Gehring claim that the status of the new album is not concrete, Mae will be diligently at work, writing and recording for their next release after a few more tours this year.