With an open mind and a hearty appetite, you can have a great dining experience at You and I Sushi at 25381 Alicia Parkway in Laguna Hills. Whether you are a seasoned sushi connoisseur or a mere rookie, You and I offers the quintessential experience for those who crave adventure and a variety of tastes and textures in the plethora of options available.
For our sushi adventure, we chose to go with the all-you-can-eat option, a brave endeavor indeed, but a worthy challenge nonetheless. For those who choose to go this route, don’t expect to receive a light meal, because if you want to get the most bang for your buck, you will want to order as much as you possibly can within the hour limit. The all-you-can-eat menu includes individual orders of sushi, which come in pairs, hand rolls and cut rolls, as well as items from the kitchen.
We began this all-you-can-eat extravaganza with a light cucumber salad appetizer accompanied by the traditional sushi accoutrements: ginger, wasabi and soy sauce. Our first item off the menu was a mixture of scallops, shrimp, mushrooms, rice and creamy sauces which goes by the name of ‘Dynamite.’ This unique blend of flavors and textures truly lives up to its name and acts as a wonderful beginning to a delicious feast.
Because we were seated at the sushi bar, we were allowed a bird’s-eye view of all the action as we witnessed the meticulous preparation that went into the creation of our sushi.
The chefs were friendly and charismatic as we shouted out our orders and observed with anticipation. With the abundance of options available on the menu there is no difficulty in finding a specific roll that suits your fancy and satisfies your individual palette.
I began with the individual eel roll, which is simply a piece of eel atop rice and seaweed covered with a sweet eel sauce, and continued with the mouthwatering crunchy shrimp cut roll which features fried shrimp on the inside and bits of it on the outside.
My companions and I continued our all-you-can-eat meal with You and I’s different versions of the typical California roll. For those who like to spice things up there is a Volcano Roll, which is a baked California roll with salmon, topped with tuna, eel and a thick, spicy sauce.
Those who enjoy a variety of fish can sink their teeth into the Rainbow Roll—a colorful blend of five different fish atop the basic California roll. Among this vast assortment of rolls is the You and I roll, a resounding favorite among You and I regulars and newcomers alike.
The combination of tuna, crab, shrimp tempura, cucumber avocado and rice, perfectly wrapped in seaweed in the hand roll version offers an unbelievably pleasurable experience of flavor and texture that must be savored and devoured one bite at a time.
Our hour was almost up and our stomachs were filled to the brim as we topped off this large but tasty meal with a scoop of cool, refreshing green tea ice cream.
This all-you-can-eat sushi feast is offered for lunch Monday through Saturday from 11:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. for $16.95 and for dinner Monday through Sunday from 5:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m. at $21.95.
Although the prices seem a bit steep for the average cash-strapped college student, your satiated appetite and full stomach will provide all the evidence you need to ensure that not a penny you spend is wasted on this scrumptious meal. But for those who do not wish to attempt the intimidating all-you-can-eat option, there is a regular menu that offers a variety of Japanese dishes at reasonable prices.
You and I Sushi’s unique blends of fresh fish, vegetables and sauces in each of their rolls definitely set the bar high for any sushi experience. Whether you are impressing a date, or going out with a bunch of friends You and I has the sushi to satisfy!