Men’s Golf Finishes a Disappointing 16th

304
304

The UC Irvine Men’s Golf team finished 16th at the NCAA West Regional that concluded Saturday afternoon at the Tuscon National Golf Club in Tuscon, Ariz.
The Anteaters shot a collective 861 over the three day event. The top 10 teams in each region advance to the national championships at Sunriver, Ore. from May 31 to June 3.
Arizona and Florida were deadlocked at the top of the leader board, splitting the title after finishing with scores of 827 apiece.
The Florida Gators’ Billy Horschel and Casey Watabu of Nevada had to split the individual championship with 54-hole scores of 13-under 203. Horschel shot a 66 as Watabu came from behind with a 64 for the tie in Saturday’s final round.
UCI junior Brian Edick tied for 11th place at 8-under 208.
‘I did pretty well,’ Edick said after the tournament. ‘I didn’t get enough birdies on the back nine, but the tournament went really well and I played pretty consistently the whole time. Today I just never really got going like I’d hoped. I made a birdie at the beginning of the back nine and I thought that would be the start of something, but it wasn’t.’
Edick’s 11th-place finish was by far the best showing by the Anteaters at the tournament as sophomore Garrett Sapp finished 46th at 2-under 214 and sophomore Kenny Kim placed 79th at 219. Sophomore Derek Uyesaka shot a 75 and finished 99th at 223 while freshman Tim Cha carded a 77 to finish 119th at 227.
‘It was a struggle today,’ said UCI Head Coach Paul Smolinski. ‘We had a few guys that had a good round but not enough. We are a young team, but being here was a great experience for us. Hopefully we can make it back here next year and do our best to make it further into the tournament.’