T&F Athletes in NCAAs

Two UC Irvine Track and Field athletes, senior Amber Steen and sophomore Julian Eison, placed eighth at the NCAA Track and Field West Regional Championships last Saturday. The event, which took place in Provo, Utah, was the second of a two-day competition.
Steen automatically qualified for Saturday’s event due to a problem with the number of entries in Friday’s competition. At the end of the day, her time of 4:29.30 in the 1,500 meters placed her in eighth while the first-place position went to Utah State’s Jennifer Twitchell. Eison placed eighth in the high jump and USC’s Jesse Williams took the first-place spot.
Also competing for UC Irvine on Saturday was senior Brian Moon, who had a mark of 5-8 and 1/2 in the shot put and placed 12th.
‘It’s probably going to be my last meet of my track career,’ Moon said last Tuesday in KUCI’s Blue and Gold Report. ‘I just want to go out there and have fun and see how it goes.’
Moon also placed 20th in the discus throw on Friday, while senior Ian Connell placed 24th.
The final member of the Anteater team to place in a second-day event was senior John Kluve, who captured 15th-place in the 3,000-meter steeplechase.
Junior Dayne Comrie placed 10th in Friday’s 400-meter trials with a time of 48.36, which unfortunately did not qualify him for Saturday’s final. Also unable to compete in Saturday’s final was freshman Lauren Collins, whose mark of 5-7 and 1/4 in the women’s high jump did not make the cut.