Bidding Farewell to the New University

I didn’t want to write this (my goodbye to the New University) for the same reason that I never wanted to have my own column. I love reading columns for the same reason I loathe them, and that is because columnists are just people with the privilege of spewing off their thoughts in published print. And personally, my thoughts aren’t worthy of reading.
At the same time, I finally decided to sit down and write this because I felt that it might be an appropriate way to bid farewell to something that has played a significant role in my college career. I remember attending my first tear-up during my freshmen year. I was so intimidated that I never returned.
Halfway through my second year of college, I finally forced myself to overcome my fear and shyness and start writing. I was hooked.
I will always remember the feeling of seeing my name in print for the first time, the feeling of chasing after a story and the first time I was yelled at by an angry source.
Through my two-and-a-half years at the New U., I have changed immensely from a timid intern to a confident staff writer and, finally, to a tired editor. The New U., as with most of the people that work here, had become an addiction. I couldn’t get enough of it, but at the same time, I hated it because I couldn’t rid myself of it.
And why have I stayed with the New U., you ask? Because I love to write. I love interviewing people and listening to their side of the story. And while some might say that the staff of the New U. is working to make the paper better, I think we join to make ourselves better people. It’s the same for anything we do with our time. We want to be able to say that there is a purpose to our lives and that what we do is important. I’d like to say that I did more than just go to class during my college years.
To the countless number of people I have met and interviewed, thank you for allowing me the privilege of telling your stories.
To the readers, thank you for acknowledging my work. To the New U. staff and writers that I’ve worked with, thank you for teaching me lessons that I could never learn in a college course.
I’m glad I joined the New U. I might complain endlessly about editing stories on a Saturday night or waking up at an ungodly hour on Sunday to go to work, but I am definitely sad that my time with the New U., which has filled nearly every free moment of my college career, has come to an end.

Christine Tsai is a fourth-year English and dance double major.