Lessons From the New U.

Having performed so-so on the Graduate Record Examination for the second time in six months, I walked out of the Educational Testing Service testing center this past weekend into the blazing Anaheim heat and realized that my four-year stint at UC Irvine might potentially be my last at an institution of higher learning.
Acknowledging that I should try to be a little more nostalgic now that graduation seemed more like the death of my college life than an excuse to drink champagne, I tried hard to dig up what it was that I would miss the most. Is it the New University?
I won’t miss dragging into the New U. office, exhausted and filthy every Sunday morning at 9 a.m. However, I will miss the office how it was around noon, particularly on the days we had free food from everyone’s favorite health food restaurant. I don’t know why, but no one seems to appreciate alfalfa- sprout sandwiches quite as much as I do.
I won’t really miss the life lessons I have had to learn, because they weren’t fun at the time, but I’m glad to have had them and I think they’ve added a lot of insight into my life. One of the big ones being that if you get a cabin in Big Bear with several fellow employees, don’t get the plague