Rosy Rocks ASUCI Entertainment

With the Student Center many months from completion, Rosanna Huang, student services vice president of the Associated Students of UC Irvine, looks to other school hangouts, including Phoenix Grille, the Anteater Recreation Center fields and Aldrich Park, to host a variety of events for the undergraduate student body this year.
Huang, a fourth-year political science major, said that as the organizer of entertainment for UCI students, she has found her ‘passion and interest’ in ASUCI.
From booking top bands and comedians to facilitating unique UCI events like Reggaefest and Shocktoberfest, Huang and her associates are responsible for providing events and programs that keep students entertained and also increase school spirit.
‘We try to enhance student life on campus,’ Huang said.
Huang starts strong with a busy lineup for Welcome Week, which runs until Sept. 22 alongside the Dean of Students’ club fair in Aldrich Park.
On Tuesday, all students can enjoy Jack Black at ‘Screen on the Green’ in Aldrich Park, where ‘Nacho Libre’ will be shown at 8 p.m. Students will also enjoy free food and giveaways throughout the night.
San Diego’s My American Heart and San Luis Obispo natives Sherwood will perform at the flagpoles on Wednesday from noon to 2 p.m. Both rock bands played at the Uprising Festival at the Verizon Amphitheatre on Sept. 16.
Thursday night’s Comedy Night event will feature Darren Carter (‘Be Cool’), Jay Davis (HBO’s ‘Tourgasm’) and Jeff Garcia (‘Comedy Central Presents’). The event is free to all students and is being held at the Bren Events Center at 7 p.m. The performance will be preceded by some of UCI’s many talented dance groups.
Friday night brings UCI’s annual Foam Party, where foam, music, a DJ and dancing anteaters come together from 8 p.m. to midnight at the loading dock behind Phoenix Grille.
After Welcome Week, Huang and her associates will turn their attention to Shocktoberfest, a twist on the usual Oktoberfest event put on by ASUCI. The event will be co-sponsored by Student Housing, the Dean of Students and the Interfraternity Council and coordinated by faculty and students.
‘We are incorporating the idea of having a Halloween carnival with our traditional annual fall fest,’ Huang said. ‘It’ll be a great way to start off the year and then have Wayzgoose [spring quarter’s biggest event] bookending the year.’
Shocktoberfest will light up the ARC fields Friday Oct. 27 with a concert, food, games, an all-night dance and Halloween festivities. Student clubs and organizations will be encouraged to participate, Huang said.
In an effort to keep students on campus, Huang said she would like to maintain a constant flow of events ranging from large concerts to movie nights. She also wants to keep the intimacy of the unplugged concerts previously held at Cornerstone Caf