Sports in Brief

Men’s Soccer Defeats UMBC at the UNLV Rebel Classic

Las Vegas, Nev. – Sept. 15 – The UC Irvine men’s soccer team used an early goal scored by sophomore defender Matt Murphy and a strong defensive effort to defeat the UMBC Retrievers 1-0 last Friday. Senior midfielder Brandon Tario assisted on the goal, which came at the 9:57 mark of the first half. The victory lifted the squad’s overall record to 4-1-1, with the only loss coming at the hands of Northwestern. Senior goalkeeper Kenny Schoeni needed only one save to earn his third shutout of the year. Murphy’s goal was his fifth of the season and now leads the team in goals scored and overall points. The defense has only allowed five goals through their first six games of the season. The team now heads off to Riverside to play against UCR on Sept. 23.

Women’s Volleyball Falters Against Santa Clara

Palo Alto, Calif. – Sept. 16 – The UC Irvine women’s volleyball team was swept by the number-eight ranked Santa Clara Broncos 30-17, 30-20, 30-18. Sophomore outside hitter Lauren Kellerman posted a game high 13 kills while freshman defensive specialist McCall Miller smashed 10 kills, but it was not enough for the lady Anteaters as they fell to 3-8 on the season.

The loss was the second consecutive defeat for the team. They will look to rebound Wednesday on Sept. 20.

Henderson Helps USA Capture World University Golf Championship

Torino, Italy – Sept. 9 – Junior women’s golfer Selanee Henderson finished in 15th place in the 11th annual World University Golf Championship, helping the United States capture first place with a two-shot victory over Japan. Henderson, who was named Big West Player of the Year last season, shot a 304 (75-77-78-74) in the four round event. Henderson will now rejoin the women’s golf team as they try to capture the Big West Conference title for the third consecutive year. The team’s first competition of the fall will be at Oregon State on Sept, 18-19 at the Trysting Tree Golf Course.

Men’s Waterpolo Garner Split at Northern California Tournament

Stanford, Calif. – Sept. 16 – The men’s water polo team managed a split in their two games Saturday night against UC San Diego and UC Santa Cruz in the Northern California Tournament. The Anteaters dropped the first game against fifth ranked San Diego, 10-8 in overtime. Junior Colin Mello led Irvine with four goals scored in the losing effort. UCI has yet to win an overtime game this season as they are 0-3 in the extra session. In the second game, the Anteaters used a strong second quarter to defeat UC Santa Cruz 9-5. Mello once again led the Anteaters with five more goals,while junior goalkeeper Matt Garcia held off the Santa Cruz attack with 16 saves. The team’s record now stands at 3-4.

Former Men’s Basketball Coach Mulligan Honored

Irvine, Calif. – Sept. 16 – Bill Mulligan, best known for his days coaching the UC Irvine men’s basketball team from 1980-1991, was honored at a dinner roast Saturday night at the University Club. Mulligan led the Anteaters to 163 victories during his memorable career, including two first-round NIT wins in 1982 and 1986. He was formally inducted into the UC Irvine’ts Hall of Fame in 1998.