UCI’s Fall Sports Season Update

216
216

Men’s Soccer (6-1-1)

UC Irvine Soccer opened their season against Denver, winning the game 4-1 and setting the tone for the rest of their pre-conference play. Forward Rudy Mondragon led the Anteaters with two second-half goals that secured the win after Denver tied early in the opening of the half. Irvine’s only loss this season came during the UCI Collegiate Classic against Northwestern. Pre-season All-American Brad Evans scored the Anteater’s lone goal that night as Irvine fell 2-1.

Traveling cross country proved to be fruitful for the Anteaters as they captured the LIU Soccer Classic in Brooklyn, New York with a shutout win against Long Island 4-0 and a tie against Fordham University.
Recording his sixth goal of the season during the UNLV Invitational, Matt Murphy earned Big West Player of the Week honors as well as being named to the National Team of the Week by the College Soccer News.

Murphy scored the winning goal against UMBC on Sept. 15 and recorded a goal against St. Mary’s, leading the Anteaters to two straight wins. Murphy leads the team with six goals on the season while Evans has scored five goals.

Women’s Soccer (2-6-0)

After beginning the season with five consecutive losses, the Anteaters have won their last two games, including a 2-1 upset victory over No. 22 San Diego.
Sophomore Erin Gorospe scored UCI’s first goal