Around the Ring

B.A. in Public Health and B.S. in Public Health Sciences offered

The undergraduate B.S. in Public Health Sciences and B.A. in Public Health will explore public health plans and research. Students will analyze public health programs and learn of the challenges of human health in an emerging population.

Students who wish to pursue medical school must still take additional classes, which the public health degree does not offer in its curriculum. Students must decide to either pursue the B.S. in Public Health Sciences or the B.A. in Public Health by the end of their sophomore year, or they may choose to double major in both.

Careers in public health for graduates include positions in health care agencies, clinics, health, water and air quality management, biomedical companies, health-education agencies and public health organizations. The National Association of County and City Health Officials has created jobs for post-public health graduates.

The degree will also equip students to pursue a graduate degree in public health. A list of required major courses is available for students who are interested.

Masters in Criminology, Law and Society Offered Through Online Classes

Online degree programs have become a widespread phenomenon. Who would’ve thought of studying at home after tucking your kids into bed, or turning in your final paper when you’re on vacation in Paris?

Universities in Orange County such as UC Irvine, Cal State Fullerton and Concordia are finding that online degree programs more efficiently meet the needs of professionals who are also working full time.

UCI currently offers a master’s degree in Criminology, Law and Society through online classes. The university’s first online degree took five years to develop.

In 2003, the online program was developed, mainly focusing on attracting working law enforcement officers and military personnel who were interested in earning a degree in their field while maintaining employment.

According to Eduventures, a company that records education trends, 1.2 million Americans are enrolled in online degree programs, doubling the 500,000 students who enrolled in 2002. Eduventures predicts that by 2007, 1.75 million Americans will be enrolled in an online degree program.

Supporters respond to skeptics by reporting that it takes more discipline for someone to study online than it does for them to learn the traditional way