Chavez, Not Bush, Is the Real Devil

‘The devil came here yesterday.’ These words sound as if they were taken straight out of a comic strip or a ‘Tales from the Crypt’ segment.
Instead, Venezuela’s president, Hugo Chavez, spoke of the United States’ highest authority figure, George W. Bush, as if he was condemning Bush and his administration straight to the place down under!
The United Nations conference was full of surprises and suspense as Chavez took his verbal battle to another level in front of the General Assembly.
The tension between the United States and countries like Iran, Cuba and now Venezuela has been apparent ever since Bush pledged to take a hard line against Fidel Castro, the president of communist Cuba.
‘My word to you, Mr. Castro: Let your people live in freedom,’ Bush said before his election.
Seeing how Chavez has been a close ally of Castro for years, it is understandable that there are hard feelings between him and Bush.
It’s clear to see why Bush won’t settle his score with Cuba and its dictator anytime soon. The ideologies and governments are way too different. It’s like mixing peanut butter with hot sauce. That’d be a heck of a sandwich, right?
Chavez has even gone to the extent of saying he would like to see U.N. headquarters moved out of the United States simply so Bush will not have an advantage.
As for his comments, Minority Leader of the House of Representatives referred to Chavez as an ‘everyday thug.’ It’s not everyday, however, that we see a thug as the president of a developing country.
Compared to Chavez and his fellow world leader allies, Bush is a saint! Sure, he might not be the brightest bulb in the pack, the greatest public speaker, the most honest or even the most respected. Come to think of it, what is he good at? If nothing else, however, he has been true to his word about the war on terrorism. To this day, American troops continue their stay on foreign soil.
Chavez, on the other hand, has been linked to illegal activities since his first day as president. He has ties to the terrorist guerilla group Fuerzas Armadas Revolucionarias de Colombia. Simon Trinidad, a high ranking terrorist from FARC, was caught and pulled out from Colombia in order to be put on trial in the United States for drug trafficking and terrorism charges.
This brings me to my next point. While Trinidad was jailed, it has been reported, but not substantiated, that Chavez paid him a visit personally to sympathize with him and his organization as a whole. FARC exists to this day, and somehow continues to have weaponry available, as well as the financial capacities to do what they desire.
It has become apparent over the years, through many of his own actions, that Chavez supports terrorism in one way or another. He is not physically committing illegal acts of terror, but he has been linked for years to several crimes including corruption and aiding and abetting the FARC.
What is the president of a country doing in a jail cell sympathizing with a cold-hearted killer? And he refers to Bush as ‘the devil’? Right.
What’s worse is that Venezuela, a third world country dependent on exporting their oil, is the main supplier to the United States. Relationship problems between Chavez and Bush could start to hurt our pockets should Chavez begin to get stingy. This is, however, highly unlikely because Venezuela depends on the United States just as much as we depend on them. We all know how much we need oil, though. Some say that this is the real reason why Bush hasn’t taken U.S. troops out of Iraq.
Chavez’s comments have been heard around the world and have caused a more turbulent relationship with Bush and our country. War on Venezuela, anyone? This is not a possibility since the United States has the kind of weaponry that can blow countries off the face of the earth.
Chavez will probably continue to criticize Bush, as well as the U.N., for as long as the United States maintains its prosperity and its economy. As for Chavez, he needs to stop and think about his own country before letting his ego, not to mention his personal opinions, runs loose.

Roger Salgado is a first-year literary journalism major.