Fey Turns Satiric in ’30’

NBC’s new fall line up is sure to keep the laughs coming with the new Wednesday night sitcom ’30 Rock.’
Tina Fey and Alec Baldwin lead an all-star cast that includes Tracy Morgan, Jane Krakowski, Scott Adsit and Jack McBrayer.
’30 Rock’ centers around the life of offbeat late-night comedy sketch writer Liv Lemon (Fey), who works as the head writer for a ‘Saturday Night Live’-like show called ‘The Girlie Show.’
From the opening shots of several spots in Rockefeller Square to the loud and cheesy music, the show feels like a ‘Saturday Night Live’ skit.
’30 Rock’ is entirely satiric, poking fun at the behind-the-scenes shenanigans that inevitably occur at a sketch-comedy show filmed at the NBC studios in New York City. Does this scenario sound familiar to anyone?
Although the show resembles ‘Saturday Night Live,’ it definitely has its own character. The similarities are uncanny, but I think that ’30 Rock’ will soon find its own voice in the episodes to come.
The acting of executive producer and writer Fey is questionable, but her awkward charm saves her scenes every time. Although some of her lines do seem forced and unnatural, she is still amusing. Her talents are best expressed in writing, but she has a good comedic presence as well.
The real star of the show is definitely Alec Baldwin. Everything gets complicated and interesting when Jack (Baldwin) steps in as the new network executive of ‘The Girlie Show.’ Before the paint can dry on his new office walls at NBC, his straightforward and demanding nature butts heads with Lemon and the way she runs the show.
Baldwin steals every scene with perfect comedic timing and smart, witty dialogue. He’s every bit as good in the show as he is when he hosts ‘Saturday Night Live.’
Tracy Morgan adds another dash of hilarity to the mix as Tracy Jordan, an eccentric and slightly insane actor. Jordan is supposed to be the quintessential self-absorbed actor