Friday, March 29, 2024
HomeSportsSports in Brief

Sports in Brief

Men’s Soccer Upset by UC Santa Barbara

Santa Barbara, Calif. – Oct. 7 – For only the second time this season, the UC Irvine men’s soccer team suffered a loss. The No. 28 Gauchos were able to pull the upset as they defeated the No. 7 Anteaters 2-0 in a conference game Saturday night.

Irvine was playing without Brad Evans and Matt Murphy because both received red cards in their previous match with UC Davis, making them ineligible for Saturday’s match. Lacking their two leading scorers, Irvine’s offense was unable to penetrate the Gauchos’ defense as they failed to score a goal and were out shot by Santa Barbara 11 to two.

Santa Barbara scored first in the 15th minute with an unassisted goal by Nick Perera who was able to get by two Anteater defenders. Perera would strike again in minute 69 with a pass from Eric Frimpong in the box. Gaucho goalkeeper, Kyle Reynish would earn the shutout with one save.

With the win, Santa Barbara is now tied with Irvine for the top spot in the Big West with nine points apiece. The Anteaters’ next match is another conference game Wednesday night against third-place Cal State Northridge at Anteater Stadium.

Women’s Soccer Loses in Double Overtime against Cal Poly

San Luis Obispo, Calif. – Oct 6 – The UC Irvine women’s soccer team was successful at preserving a shutout through regulation time and the first overtime. However, the Anteaters were unable to provide the necessary offense to score, losing to Cal Poly 1-0 in double overtime.

With Cal Poly’s Kaleena Andruss on the offensive attack, Irvine goalkeeper Erin Henry deflected the initial shot. However, Andruss’s teammate Ashley Vallis was standing by to score off the rebound, shooting it just past Henry in the 106th minute. Henry had three saves, playing the entire match.

The loss takes the women’s soccer team to 3-8 on the season and 0-2 in conference play. The Anteaters play next on Oct. 8 against UC Santa Barbara at Harder Stadium. Irvine returns home Oct. 13 for a conference game against the Pacific Tigers.

Anteaters Run Well at the Triton Invitational

La Jolla, Calif. – Oct. 7 – Resting their top runners in preparation for the Pre-Nationals meet, the UC Irvine men’s and women’s cross country teams were still successful in running the Triton Invitational on the campus of UC San Diego, where the women finished second to UCLA in the Division 1 race.

Sophomore Samantha Constantini led the Anteaters in 14th place with a time of 23 minutes and 32 seconds over 6,000 meters. Elaine Gillespie was 24th with 24:01.3, Megan Fairley was 28th with 24:09.4, Lauren Morten was 34th with 24:28.4 and Kendall Bruton was 37th with 24:38.8 to round out the Anteaters’ top five. Scoring 55 points, the Anteaters fared very well despite resting most of their top runners.

The men’s team competition was not decided following the race and a course discrepancy prevented from any awards being distributed pending further review. Because of this, the men’s results are deemed unofficial until they can be approved.

Despite the mishap, the men’s team ran very well, led by Junior Russel Bush in 23rd place with a time of 27:03 over 8,000 meters. Kareem Barghouti was 28th with 27:03.5, Colin Hacker finished 32nd with 27:10.8, Rusty Whisman was 38th with 27:29.4 and Adrian Doty was 41st with 27:35.5.

This week is very exciting for both of the Anteater squads as they prepare for the Pre-National Invitational in Terre Haute, Indiana.

The meet will bring together the best teams from all over the United States to run on the site of the NCAA Championships in November. The Anteaters, who are having an impressive season, thus far, hope to make an impact in national competition.

Men’s Golf Captures fifth at the Northwest Collegiate Classic

Corvallis, Ore.