Sports in Brief

Men’s Water Polo Defeats UCSB, Loses to USC

Los Angeles, Calif. – Oct. 14 – Competing at the Southern California Tournament, the men’s water polo team split its two games Saturday defeating No. 8 UC Santa Barbara 8-7, and falling to No. 1 ranked USC 3-14.

Opening with their victory over the Gauchos, Irvine was led by Junior Colin Mello, who scored three goals, and Jesse Hatch, who scored two goals. Curt Merlo, Jamie Frank and Cole Bitter added one goal apiece. Frank scored the game-winning goal with two minutes and five seconds left in regulation.

The Anteaters were overmatched by the undefeated Trojans, who scored the first 10 goals of the game, leaving little hope of an upset. Irvine’s three goals came from Merlo, Kyle Baxter, and Ty Newland.

Irvine will commence play Oct. 21 against Cal in their first conference game of the season.

Men’s Golf Places Fifth at MacKenzie Invite

Fairfax, Calif. – Oct. 10 – Playing at the Alister MacKensie Invitational hosted by Cal, the UC Irvine men’s golf team was able to finish fifth in the 15-team field.

Scoring an overall 857 (293, 277, 287) Irvine recorded its second consecutive top-five finish. The Anteaters had finished in fifth place in the Northwest Collegiate Classic.

Senior Jay Choe led the Anteater squad, finishing fifth in the individual standings with a score of 209 (70, 70, 69). Brian Edick was the other Irvine top-20 finish in 19th place, scoring 214 (73, 65, 76). Freshman John Chin finished 25th at 216 (76-72-68), Sean Shahi was 35th at 218 (74-70-74) and Derek Uyesaka placed 77th at 231 (77-75-79).

UCI now heads to Palm Desert to compete in The Prestige at PGA West, hosted by Stanford, on Oct. 16-17.

Cross Country Runs Well at Pre-Nationals Competition

Terre Haute, Indiana – Oct. 14 – Traveling to the site of the NCAA Championship, the men’s and women’s cross country teams competed in their first truly national race of they year with the majority of the their competition being from the midwest and East Coast. The women’s team finished 19th out of 36 teams, and the men’s 30th out of 36.

UCI sophomore Laura Olvera placed 22nd of 245 runners with a time of 20 minutes and 42 seconds in the 6,000 meter race. Junior Sara Mickelson was 30th with 20:50.9, Marie Nguyen finished 84th with 21:32.8 and Erinn Kim was 178th with 22:25.1.

The men’s top runner was Ricky Barnes, finishing 29th in the 243-runner field with a time of 24:11.6. Sky Johnston was the next closest runner for the men, finishing 140th with 25:08.2.