You’re in College, So Stop Whining

Yes, it’s fall and the quarter has begun. Ring Road is full of student organization booths, people trying to make their way through thick crowds, fliers strewn across the road and loud music blasting from the Greek booths.
And, oh, isn’t class especially fun in the early hours of the day when we should be sleeping? While dragging our tired feet to the lecture hall, most of us think of all the homework we need to get done for our classes and find ourselves groaning because we can’t figure out how we’ll fit it in our schedule.
We’ve got to work, meet up with friends, work out at the Anteater Recreation Center, shower, eat and nap. So while it’s perfectly understandable that we all complain about our workload, it’s pretty obvious that we need to get it done one way or another.
If it means staying up a little bit longer or less cable TV, YouTube, Facebook or MySpace, we need to sacrifice a little. We’re in college now, and paying for our education (or for many, our parents are paying).
What I’d like to get across is this: Much more is expected of us than was in high school. Fortunately, most professors here are reasonable when it comes to workload. I have yet to meet a professor who is unfair or expects too much from me when it comes to assigning homework and reading.
Granted, I’m not a science major (anymore) and I’m sure the science majors are laughing and asking, ‘Have you taken the Physics 7 series?’ Answer: No. However, I do have science major friends who get their homework done, get good grades and still have time to have lives.
But what really irks me is the fact that there are a lot of students out there who won’t do their work but complain about what’s assigned and then rate their professors as ‘Poor’ on ratemyprofessor.com at the end of the year. Why? Maybe it’s because of their low final grade in the class.
Like many students, I go to ratemyprofessor.com when picking classes and I’ve read things on there about professors that would terrify me if I hadn’t had them before.
I read comments such as ‘she is … hard, she sucks at being fair,’ with a C as the teacher’s grade. But having had the teacher in the above example I read this comment as complete bullshit. I found her to be great and incredibly helpful, and she only demanded what she deserved: respect and dedication from her class.
This is just one example of how students like to be lazy and blame their teachers when their grades suffer. Although you might take classes you don’t like, it doesn’t mean you shouldn’t complete assignments and instead rely on luck to pass.
Although I seem to be insulting every student who believes his or her teacher to be unfair, I’m not. I realize that there are unreasonable teachers out there, but in this article I’m addressing only the unreasonable students.
I bet I may sound like one of those studious geeks just for lecturing my peers about not doing homework, but you can’t exactly say that I’m being terribly unjust (or a geek). I’ve always believed that many of us are lazy and expect to get away with it, but it wasn’t until my Sociology 63 class that I was reassured.
My professor explained that our bitching about our reading and workload is asinine because we are in college and our number one priority is to get an education and learn. It’s a good thing everyone seems to like our professor; he can get the message across without scorn from the student population.
But we need more students to understand that the next time they fail a class and decide to warn others about how terrible the teacher is, they really need to think about how much effort they put forth.
If you had questions, did you communicate with your professor? Did you ask for advice on papers before turning them in? Did you make it to class on time? Did you even go to classes or talk to the professor when you were absent?
There are so many factors when considering why you may have done poorly in the class, but in doing so, it’s only fair to admit that maybe the problem lies with you. We’re attending a UC school. Let’s start treating it that way.

Jessica Lai is a second-year English major.