Sports in Brief

Volleyball Defeats Riverside for first Conference Win

Riverside, Calif. – Oct. 20 – After a 0-4 start in Big West play this season, the UC Irvine women’s volleyball team was able to defeat the Highlanders of UC Riverside, 28-30, 30-20, 30-21, 30-25, for their first conference win of the season Friday night.

Kristin Kelley recorded a team high eight block assists which brought her season total to 86, moving her into the top 10 of the UCI record books for total block assists in a season. Sophomore Lauren Kellerman led Irvine with 19 kills, followed by McCall Miller with 13 kills and 12 digs. Setter Taryn Robertson had 47 assists while libero Devon Sutherland recorded 17 digs and two service aces in the win. The following day, the team lost to CS Fullerton in straight sets.

Women’s Golf Third at Aztec Invite

San Diego, Calif. – Oct. 17 – The Anteater golf team finished third at the Lady Aztec Fall Classic early this week, with a total score of 596 (301-295) over the two-day contest. Irvine has finished in the top five of the team standings in both of their competitions thus far.

Junior Selanee Henderson finished fourth with a score of 144 (69-75). Denver’s Stephanie Sherlock won the individual title with a 141 over 36 holes. Anteater Jane Chin recorded a score of 146 (73-73) for eighth place and Kim Lorenzana finished 15th, scoring a 149 (77-72) while shooting even par on the second day.

Freshmen Patty Chawalitmetha and Mariko Makabe were 49th with a score of 157 (82-75) and 92nd with a score of 165 (83-82), respectively.

Women’s Soccer Shut Out by UC Riverside

Riverside, Calif.