News in Brief

UCI Medical Center Technician Accidentally Shot by Police

Police shot an X-ray technician in the upper back at the Hoag Health Center’s Woodbridge clinic while chasing a bank robber.

The exchange of gunfire took place at about 11:20 a.m. in the parking lot between the clinic and Wells Fargo on Barranca Parkway and Creek Road.

As the suspect attempted his escape by running through the parking lot, police fired at him, missed and hit the technician inside the clinic instead.

The suspect was shot in the hand and taken to a local hospital for treatment as taken into custody; the technician was sent to a nearby hospital, according to Lt. Rick Handfield of the Irvine Police Department.

Researchers Find Cause of Nerve Fiber Damage in Multiple Sclerosis

A new study has identified how the body’s immune system actually contributes to nerve fiber damage caused by multiple sclerosis, a chronic disease that affects the nervous system. Symptoms of MS include slurred speech, poor coordination, numbness, fatigue, blurred vision, blindness and paralysis.

The new finding, discovered by Dr. Yufen Qin and fellow researchers from UC Irvine’s School of Medicine, shows that, during MS attacks, immune B-cells damage axons, not myelin, by stopping energy production in the nerve fiber cells, which causes them to degenerate and die (Journal of Immunology, Oct. 15 issue).

The study involved extraction and analysis of spinal fluid and tissue from MS patients to identify B-cell immune response.

Researchers found that increased levels of B-cell antibodies binding to two specific enzymes