Sports in Brief

Women’s Volleyball Upsets Both UCSB and Cal Poly

San Luis Obispo, Calif. – Oct. 28 – The Anteater volleyball team enjoyed the role of spoiler this past weekend with upset wins against UC Santa Barbara and No. 19 Cal Poly. The teams extended both matches to the fifth game in which the Anteaters secured a 30-28, 33-31, 17-30, 24-30, 15-13 victory over the Gauchos and a 24-30, 16-30, 32-30, 30-25, 15-13 win over Cal Poly.

In Friday night’s game in Santa Barbara, sophomore outside hitter Lauren Kellerman recorded a career-high 28 kills against the Gauchos and 13 digs for the double-double. Leading the team with 18 digs, freshman outside hitter McCall Miller also contributed 19 kills, while setter freshman Taryn Robertson had a big night, tallying a career-high 57 assists with seven kills, 10 digs and five blocks.

After losing the first two games Saturday evening at Mott Gym in Cal Poly, the Anteaters were able to take the third game, 32-30. The Mustangs eventually dropped the deciding game after leading 6-2, with costly errors that helped Irvine grab the victory.

Kellerman was once again the offensive star with 22 kills, 10 digs, and five block assists.

Irvine is now 8-14 overall and 3-5 in Big West play, and will host Cal State Northridge on Nov. 2.

Cross Country Teams Finish Third at Big West Finals

San Luis Obispo, Calif. – Oct. 28 – The UC Irvine men’s and women’s cross country teams finished third at this year’s Big West Championships. Favorites Cal Poly took the men’s title and UC Santa Barbara claimed the women’s title.

UCI’s sophomore Laura Olvera and junior Sara Mickelson finished in second and third place for All-Conference finishes in 21 minutes and 23 seconds and 21:30, respectively, over 6,000 meters.

The Anteaters have two weeks off before competition resumes at the West Regional race in Portland, Oregon.

Men’s Soccer Shuts Out UC Davis 1-0

Irvine, Calif. – Oct. 28 – Continuing their success this season, the Anteater soccer team recorded a shutout win over the UC Davis Aggies, 1-0. The win improved Irvine’s record to 12-3-3 (5-2-1 Big West), tying the school record high of 12 regular season wins.

After a scoreless first half, the Anteaters scored their goal at the 48 minute, 49 second mark when sophomore J.T. Terrazas kicked in the rebound after a shot by sophomore David Sias was initially blocked. Irvine goalkeeper senior Kenny Schoeni earned his seventh shutout of the season, recording four saves.

Women’s Golf Finish Third at Youel Invite

Kapolei, Hawaii – Oct. 24 – The women’s golf team enjoyed their trip to Hawaii last week, finishing in a tie for third place at the Kent Youel Invitational for their second top-three finish this season.

Junior Selanee Henderson tied for seventh with a score of 226 (75, 74, 77). By scoring a 73 in the final round, junior Jane Chin moved into 13th with a 229 (79, 77, 73). Junior Kim Lorenzana finished 15th shooting a 231 (79, 75, 77). The Anteaters head to Las Vegas for the Las Vegas Founders competition held Oct. 30 to Nov. 1.