Sports in Brief

Women’s Soccer Falls in Last Home Game of the Season

Irvine, Calif. – Oct. 29 – The UC Irvine women’s soccer team lost Sunday evening 4-0 to the Cal State Fullerton Titans in the last home game of the season.

The game began by celebrating the careers of Irvine seniors who all took the field in the first half. Seniors Britney Webster, Lauren Birmingham, Brittany Del Soldato, Dana Knowles and Brittany Coffin were bid farewell by their families, friends and teammates.

When the game started, the Titans quickly got onto the scoreboard. In the fifth minute Titans forward Brianna Buffington scored on an open net by a mistake from sophomore goalie Erin Henry. Going into the half up 1-0, UCI still had a chance to tie the game or pull off the upset victory.

However, Fullerton would score again in the 69th minute, followed by goals at the 73rd, and 84th minutes for the final 4-0 victory.

The Anteaters finished the season with an overall record of 3-13-1, and 0-7 in Big West Conference play under first year head coach April Heinrich.

Women’s Golf Finishes 11th at Collegiate Showdown

Henderson, Nevada – Nov. 1 – Playing in their last tournament of the fall season, the UC Irvine women’s golf team finished tied for 11th place with Texas Christian at the Las Vegas Founders Collegiate Showdown.

Irvine was led by junior Jane Chin, who finished 22nd with a score of 220 (73, 71, 76). Junior Selanee Henderson was tied for 40th at the conclusion of competition with a total of 224 (71, 77, 76), followed by freshman Patty Chawalitmentha who finished 47th with 227 (78, 76, 73).

Henderson will also look to continue her individual dominance by capturing her second consecutive Big West Player of the Year Award.

Women’s Volleyball Defeats Cal State Northridge Matadors

Irvine, Calif. – Nov. 2 – Thursday night at Crawford Court, the UC Irvine women’s volleyball team recorded its third consecutive victory by defeating the Matadors of Cal State Northridge in four games, 30-23, 22-30, 31-29 and 30-22.

Sophomore libero Devon Sutherland scored a match-high, 23 digs and reached the 400-dig mark, totaling 419 on the season. Sutherland becomes the fifth UCI player to reach the honor and currently stands tied in third place for the overall record for total number of digs.

Sophomore outside hitter Lauren Kellerman led all players with 20 kills and 20 digs during the game. Freshman outside hitter McCall Miller recorded her third straight double-double with 19 kills and 15 digs. Freshman setter Taryn Robertson matched a personal best with 57 assists.

In the fourth and decisive game, UCI was able to secure its victory by creating an early four-point lead.