Watch ‘Family Guy’ DVDs, Don’t Play the Game

With the recent revival of ‘Family Guy’ from the depths of TV-show limbo as a result of years of pleading from its rabid fans, it was inevitable that a video game would pop up. Unfortunately, on the dawn of the next generation of gaming, 2K Games fails to impress with ‘Family Guy: The Video Game,’ its bit of licensed fare for the PlayStation 2.
In this action-adventure game, the player is put into the role of Stewie, Brian or Peter Griffin to engage in one of three types of gameplay depending on the character: platforming, stealth or brawling.
Stewie kicks off the adventure with a romp through the Griffin house, fully recreated in cell-shaded 3-D graphics, which wholly represent the style of the TV show. In all of Stewie’s levels, the player must engage in a combination of rudimentary platforming and third-person shooting.
The controls are limited to Stewie’s triple-jump combo and his ray gun, which is able to fire projectiles and mind-control beams. His levels are by far the most varied in the game.
As fans of the show know, Stewie is a baby bent on subverting and conquering the adult world; his objectives revolve around this goal. Basic tasks include scaling moving platforms and shooting enemies and targets. Some of the more complex tasks involve his mind control beam, with which he takes control of the adult characters and uses them to manipulate household appliances and other machines or to interact socially with other non-playable characters.
Unfortunately, the controls are unpolished. The aiming lacks the added precision of a first-person view or a targeting reticule, the platforming mechanics are often hindered by the ungraceful animations and flawed physics and the shooting sections are marred by repetitive, meandering enemies. This is, regrettably, as good as the game gets.
Continuing the adventure in Quahog is Brian Griffin, the family dog. His levels revolve almost exclusively around basic stealth elements which fall vastly short of ‘Splinter Cell’ and ‘Metal Gear Solid.’ The objective is simple: Sneak through the shadows to avoid the gaze of guards when their backs are turned. In addition to having ho-hum basic objectives, the enemy characters are just as inattentive as Stewie’s opponents