Console Wars: Wii Vs. PS3

Unless you are some sort of cave dweller, you have heard that both Sony and Nintendo have major new consoles coming out this year. The Sony PlayStation 3 and the Nintendo Wii are both set to arrive in stores this weekend. Are you ready to camp out?
The PlayStation 3 is quite the deal at $499.99 for the 20GB hard-drive model or $599.99 with a 60GB hard-drive, both of which come with new, high-definition DVD technology called Blu-ray. By comparison, the cheapest Blu-ray DVD player currently on the market is about $1,000.00.
From this perspective, the PS3’s combination of a Blu-ray player and a high-definition gaming system is relatively inexpensive. Many gamers, though, are seeing the PS3 as a game machine and not a Blu-ray player and are thus dubious about its price. For these gamers, Sony has included a new processing technology called ‘Cell,’ which allows calculation speed 3 to 12 times faster than some desktop processors.
Taking a cue from Nintendo, Sony has revamped the PS2’s Dual Shock controller and added some basic motion-sensing technology to create the ‘Sixaxis’ controller, which will be bundled with every new PS3. It has a built-in accelerometer that allows it to sense a relatively small degree of tilting. Several Xbox360 games have been revamped to use the Sixaxis, but Nintendo has done Sony one better with the Wii.
With the Wii, like with the DS before, Nintendo is banking on the fact that most gamers will not place a higher premium on innovative gameplay than graphics. They may be on to something: The PS3 will not be able to achieve optimum performance unless displayed on high-definition TVs, which are, according to consumer surveys, only in about 10 percent of American households.
Nintendo’s new console will double the GameCube’s graphical capabilities while still making it easy for developers already familiar with the GameCube’s development process. Its biggest draw is the new controller, which strays from tradition in that it can be held with just one hand like a television remote. The gaming system features full 3D motion-sensing technology, which can function with enough nuance to sense backspin on a swing in a tennis game. It also has a port on the bottom, which can be used to attach what is being referred to as ‘the nunchuk unit’