251

Men’s Basketball Defeated By Oregon 85-42

Eugene, Ore. – Nov. 17 – The Oregon Ducks were able to defeat the Anteaters in a non-conference game Friday night by going on two tremendous runs that led them to an 85-42 win.

During the first half, the Anteaters were able to keep up with the Ducks, playing with a score of 27-26 until Oregon went on a 15-2 run in the final five minutes to end the half with a 41-29 advantage.

Irvine attempted to catch up in the opening of the second half pulling behind the Ducks 46-35. Oregon would then begin a 20-0 run that would put the game far out of reach for Irvine with the Ducks leading 66-35 with less than eight minutes to go in the game.

Junior forward Patrick Sanders and junior center Darren Fells led Irvine with 10 points apiece. Junior guard Chuma Awaji recorded eight assists and seven rebounds. The Anteaters shot 52 percent in the first half compared to 24 percent in the second.

Irvine, now 2-3, travels to Nevada for a Tuesday night match-up Nov. 21 before returning home to play Pepperdine Nov. 25.

Women’s Basketball Struggles Versus Miners

El Paso, Tex. – Nov. 18 – UC Irvine was never able to keep up with the University of Texas, El Paso Miners who built a comfortable gap between themselves and the Anteaters to defeat Irvine 64-51.

Behind 35-23 at the half, the Anteaters returned from halftime ready to create a comeback by going on a 9-0 run to come within three points at 32-35. Unfortunately, the Miners would respond with a 9-2 streak of their own to widen the margin.

Irvine would be unable to challenge UTEP, which enjoyed a minimum six-point buffer the rest of the game. Sophomore forward Kelly Cochran led the team with 11 points while junior Stephanie forward Duda and freshman guard Rebecca Maessen each totaled eight points. Freshman center Naomi Halman led the team with eight rebounds in addition to her four points.

Women’s Volleyball Win Streak Snapped

Northridge, Calif. – Nov. 18 – Coming off a three-game winning streak that was highlighted by two three-game sweeps to end the home schedule, the women’s volleyball team was unable to defeat Cal State Northridge, suffering a sweep 30-24, 30-28, 30-26.

Sophomore outside hitter Lauren Kellerman paced the Anteaters with her 13th double-double of the season, recording match-high 13 kills with 12 digs and committing a pair of service aces. Freshman outside hitter McCall Miller added 12 kills and 12 digs. Freshman setter Taryn Robertson totaled 40 assists and sophomore libero Devon Sutherland picked up 15 digs to lead all players.

The Anteaters currently stand with a 12-16 overall record and finish 7-7 in Big West play tied for fourth place with the Matadors. Irvine ends their season Nov. 25 against Virginia Commonwealth at Long Beach State.

Men’s Water Polo Loses to Long Beach

Long Beach, Calif. – Nov. 18 – Long Beach State’s goalkeeper recorded an impressive 16 saves in the match with the Anteaters, who were unable to surmount the 49ers defense, falling 7-5 in a conference game.

Junior driver Colin Mello led UC Irvine with two goals in the game totaling 81 on the season. Junior goalie Matt Garcia recorded 12 saves against the Long Beach State offense.

Tied 3-3 with a few minutes left in the second quarter, the 49ers were able to score two goals to lead 5-3 going into the third quarter. Long Beach would not relinquish the lead the rest of the game.

Irvine will face UCLA on the road Nov. 19.

Erickson Named Baseball Pre-Season All-American

Irvine, Calif. – Nov. 14 – For the third consecutive year, UC Irvine closer Blair Erickson was named to the National Collegiate Baseball Writers Association Pre-Season All-America team.

The senior right-hander ended his junior season with a 2.06 ERA in a career-high 52.1 innings pitched. Erickson recorded 13 saves to end the year tied for first in saves in the Big West Conference.

Erickson is currently sixth in the NCAA record books with 40 career saves.