‘The Simpsons’ Meet Macbeth at ‘MacHomer’

408
408

Just as ‘The Simpsons’ is a classic sitcom satirizing American culture, Shakespeare’s plays often echoed the societal and political conditions of his time.
Aware of how effectively each of these reflects its cultural atmosphere, Rick Miller, voice and music artist, playwright and theatrical performer, decided 11 years ago that it would be a good idea to merge the two worlds into one called ‘MacHomer.’ Over half a million people have seen ‘MacHomer’ since then. Miller performed the play last Friday, Nov. 24 at the Irvine Barclay Theater.
‘MacHomer’ is the tragedy of Macbeth featuring characters from ‘The Simpsons.’ Lady MacHomer is played by Marge Simpson and Duncan, King of Scotland, is played by Mr. Burns.
Along with the regular Simpsons cast, Kermit the Frog, O.J. Simpson and Jessica Simpson were also brought to stage.
It’s ‘a bit of a new twist and people like seeing things crash together. It’s a crash of 400-year-old pop culture and new pop culture, and people find it interesting,’ Miller said.
In the play, MacHomer, aware of a prophecy that says he will become ruler, slays Duncan under pressure from his wife and replaces him as king. Ignorance and guilt lead MacHomer to his tragic death.
Although there were over 30 characters in the play, there was only one voice