Chivas USA Drafts Dunn

The UC Irvine men’s soccer season might have ended but the team continues to break school records.
Chivas USA selected senior defender Cameron Dunn with their 46th overall pick in Major League Soccer’s SuperDraft, marking the first time in UCI history that two players were selected in the same draft. Dunn’s teammate Brad Evans was drafted with the 15th overall pick by the Columbus Crew.
‘This is a major milestone for our program and the university,’ said Head Coach George Kuntz, in a press release. It’s great to have the national recognition of our players by Major League Soccer.’
Many players on the men’s team shared similar feelings for their fellow teammates.
‘I think it’s awesome,’ said sophomore midfielder Matt Murphy, who led the team with 10 goals scored last season. ‘Not only did Brad get drafted to the Crew as their pick, but Cameron Dunn also got drafted to Chivas. That is a huge step for both of them in their careers and hopefully more of us can follow in their footsteps.’
Dunn was named Second Team All-Big West a season ago and has anchored the team’s defensive unit during the past four years. He has also recorded one assist in his career.
Dunn will join a Chivas USA team which finished last season third in the Western standings and advanced to the quarterfinals of the MLS playoffs.
Additionally, Dunn won’t have to travel far to begin his professional soccer because Chivas USA plays all their home games at the Home Depot Center in Carson.
Led by Dunn, the Anteaters defense was a large reason why the team finished the 2006 season with the most wins in school history while recording an impressive nine shutouts.
‘[Dunn’s and Evans’ selection] will give a lot more prestige and recognition to our soccer program at UCI because not too many colleges had two players selected in the draft,’ Murphy said.
Even with Evans and Dunn joining the professional ranks, the Anteaters are likely to send a third member from their 2006 team to a MLS club.
Senior forward Anthony Hamilton, who has scored 23 career goals while at UCI, is expected to be selected in the supplemental draft sometime next week, according to Kuntz.