Men’s V-Ball to Host ’08 NCAA Championship

Score another victory for the UC Irvine men’s volleyball team.
Boasting an already perfect record during the season (6-0), the Anteaters enjoyed a win off the court when the Bren Events Center was selected as the official site of the 2008 NCAA men’s volleyball championships.
The Anteaters beat out the UCLA Bruins in the final stages of the selection process and will host the event from May 1-3 next year.
‘I am just incredibly proud that we have gotten to the point now that the NCAA is recognizing our impact on a national scale,’ said Head Coach John Speraw.
The selection marks the first time UCI will host the national championships on campus in school history. UCI was selected to host the men’s water polo finals in 1998, but had to have all their games played at a local high school.
The Bren Center has already hosted the Mountain Pacific Sports Federation Championship last season and Speraw believes that the school’s handling of that tournament was a big reason why UCI was selected.
‘The NCAA has recognized the Orange County community as a growing area of volleyball support,’ Speraw said. ‘I think our success over the last couple of years put us in a position to show the community’s tremendous appreciation of the sport and help us host this event.
The Anteaters are heavy favorites to play for the national title this season and will have a strong class heading into next year as well.