Hamilton Drafted by Chivas

For the UC Irvine men’s soccer team, good stories come in threes.
Senior forward Anthony Hamilton became the third player from the team to be drafted by Major League Soccer this season when he was taken by Chivas USA with the 31st pick in the Supplemental Draft.
His teammates, senior forward Brad Evans and senior defender Cameron Dunn, were drafted a week earlier in the MLS SuperDraft by the Columbus Crew and Chivas USA respectively.
‘It says a lot about the program,’ Dunn said. ‘Having three players drafted shows the soccer community the type of players that UCI has and will continue to produce. Now young players will consider UCI as a place where they can start their soccer career in hopes of being the next individual to take their game to the next level.’
Hamilton didn’t initially burst onto the scene at Irvine as he scored only two goals during his first two seasons. During his junior and senior years, Hamilton’s career took off.
He scored a combined 21 goals in his last two seasons and was named to the First Team All-Big West in 2005 and 2006.
Hamilton’s breakout performance came in November of last year when he recorded a hat trick (scoring three goals in a game) against both Cal Poly and Cal State Fullerton. What made this feat even more incredible was the fact that it occurred on consecutive games.
Hamilton finished this season tied for second on the team for goals scored (eight) while adding five assists.
With Dunn also playing on Chivas USA, Hamilton will have at least one familiar face to make the transition to the professional level easier.
‘I am fortunate that things worked out this way,’ Dunn said. ‘Its also a good feeling to be able to go through this experience with someone who I know very well in Anthony Hamilton. It definitely makes things a little bit easier.’