Mind, Body and Spirit: Forget Starbucks and Red Bull

I was overloaded with assignments and deprived of some much-needed sleep. Not only that, but all that fast food and those late night snacks were taking a toll on my body. Then again, the term ‘exercise’ already sounded excessive and strenuous to my ears and hectic schedule. What now?
Instead of waiting around for moody and depressing thoughts to creep up on me, I decided to take the trendy approach and sign up for yoga classes at UC Irvine’s Anteater Recreation Center. Listening to calming music and doing a series of stretches and breathing exercises didn’t seem like a bad idea at all. As the latest trend in maintaining shape, yoga has taken on a new meaning, especially for college students. Today, there are many different styles of yoga including Hatha yoga, which is more physically demanding and the most popular in the United States. Although yoga is suitable for all ages, as a beneficial form for alleviating stress and tension, college students like myself have certainly found a way to a long-lasting and calm strengthening of the body.
Once the music started circulating around the room and as soon as we began our basic stretching exercises, I could see why yoga is viewed as a form of sweet escape from the hustle and bustle of the academic world. At one point, I felt tension slipping away from my body as the minutes surreptitiously ticked away. Ease replaced anxiety and worry, and I felt myself surprisingly wide awake and full of energy even after more than an hour’s worth of complex poses and meditative, stretching exercises.
Yoga can be my next fix when I am in dire need of an energy boost, forget Starbucks coffee and Red Bull drinks. I could see from the faces and the animated chatter of the other yoga students after our session that I wasn’t the only one who experienced an absolutely blissful yet fulfilling sense of peace and relaxation.