News in Brief

Atmospheric Sciences at UC Irvine Ranked Top in the Nation

The Faculty Scholarly Productivity Index, produced by Academic Analytics, has ranked atmospheric sciences research at UC Irvine first in the nation among large research universities in the area of faculty productivity.

The index has also placed four other UCI programs in the top five. Geosciences was ranked second, information science was ranked third, public administration and policy was ranked fourth and criminology and justice studies was ranked fifth.

Overall, UCI was ranked 43rd among 166 of the nation’s large research universities.

Several components are factored into the decision by the index, including journal articles and books published by each program’s faculty, as well as journal citations, awards, honors and grants received.

Research into the changes in atmosphere have especially brought a great deal of prestige to the science programs. F. Sherman Rowland’s discovery of stratospheric ozone depletion is an example of such distinction, especially in the form of a 1995 Nobel Prize in Chemistry.

Another important atmospheric research program, Atmospheric Integrated Research for Understanding Chemistry at Interfaces, can also be found at UCI. AIRUCI aims to understand more thoroughly how the interaction between air and water in the atmosphere affects air quality and global climate change.

Academic Analytics, financed partially by Stony Brook University in New York, collected information for nearly 178,000 faculty members in nearly 7,300 doctoral programs at 354 institutions nationwide in 2005.

U-Teach Program Delayed by Administration Due to Credit Dispute

The Associated Students of UC Irvine’s newly proposed program U-Teach has been tabled by an administrative board due to disputes over credits.

U-Teach, developed by the Office of the Academic Affairs Vice President, offers the chance for undergraduate students to organize, train for and teach a course of their interest to fellow students.

U-Teach is similar to programs in other UCs such as UC Berkeley’s DECAL program, where classes such as the popular ‘Philosophy of the Simpsons’ are often taught.

UCI administrators took issue with how many units the students would receive. In the following weeks, the program’s full development will be voted on.

Bren Events Center Board Meets for the First Time This Academic Year

On Wednesday, Jan. 17 the Bren Events Center Board for the first time this year.

Present at the meeting were members of ASUCI, Student Services and three Bren faculty including Director Bernadette Strobel-Lopez.

The board discussed Bren Events Center policy and budget as well as planning future dates to meet.