‘Executives of the Round Table’

For an English major without any experience in the business field, the word ‘executives’ and a recommendation to dress in professional business attire become quite intimidating.
These were the same words used in the flier to describe the annual ‘Executives of the Roundtable’ event which was held last Tuesday at the Bren Events Center. The event was sponsored by the Alliance of Business Students at UC Irvine, with the help of Kathryn Van Ness, director of the Career Center.
Upon arrival, each attendee filled out a card to enter a drawing for a $1000 scholarship and received a list of executive speakers. From this list, the attendee chose three executives they wanted to speak with or learn more about and each executive was assigned to one of the three roundtable sessions for the night.
For my three 20-minute ‘Roundtable Sessions,’ I chose Angels Baseball, American Heart Association and Target. The other companies listed were Ameriprise Financial, Anaheim Arsenal, AT&T, BearingPoint, BJ’s Restaurant, Doner, Enterprise Rent-a-Car, Ernst and Young, Google, Kaplan, LendingTree, Nissan, Option One Mortgage, The Capital Group, The Irvine Company and Vital Link.
Everyone who attended had his or her own objective in mind. Tim Marks, a first-year economics major, wanted to get an idea of what the event would be about and chose companies that would be interesting to him, like Angels Baseball, Nissan and Google.
For Lauren Louie, a third-year sociology major, a reason for attending was to ‘learn a bit more than what you learn in class because the executives offer the kind of information from their experience that you wouldn’t learn by sitting in a lecture hall.’
Third-year psychology and social behavior major Filipp Chebotarer only came to get an idea of what the night would be about, but walked away with the $1000 scholarship. After talking to different executives, he is now interested in an internship with the nonprofit organization Vital Link.
Even the executives had different goals. Angels Baseball Human Resources Generalist Nathan Andres felt he had an obligation to ‘give back to the community’ and help students by preparing them for their interviews and careers