Times Journalist Reports on Gov.

The name, ‘Arnold Schwarzenegger,’ can bring up a myriad of topics from his participation in the ‘Terminator’ series to bodybuilding.
However, more are arguably interested in his role as governor and his current second term, the topic of discussion on Wednesday, Jan. 24 was on the book, ‘The Big Enchilada: What Arnold Really Wants in His Second Term’ at the McDonnell Douglas Engineering Auditorium with Joe Mathews, hosted by the Center for the Study of Democracy.
Mathews was born in Pasadena and graduated from Harvard. Afterward, he worked at both the Wall Street Journal and Baltimore Sun and is currently a Los Angeles Times reporter. His book, ‘The People’s Machine: Arnold Schwarzenegger and the Rise of Blockbuster Democracy,’ followed Schwarzenegger from his political beginnings to his current governing position and garnered positive reviews from the media such as Publishers Weekly and the San Francisco Chronicle.
After introductions from William Schonfeld, the director of the Center for the Study of Democracy, and Larry Thomas, the Irvine Company’s vice president, Mathews began his talk about his initial encounters and impressions of Schwarzenegger.
‘I was assigned to Schwarzenegger the time he vaguely announced [his entrance into the election] on the Tonight Show. I didn’t expect a whole lot from this campaign and found it [initially] a terribly frustrating experience,’ Mathews said. ‘There was so much