MSU Shows True Colors

On Jan. 31, professor Daniel Pipes, a Middle East scholar and counter-terrorism analyst, spoke at UC Irvine at an event titled ‘The Threat to Israel’s Existence: Why It’s Back, What It Means.’ The program was co-sponsored by Anteaters for Israel, Hillel and Alpha Epsilon Pi.
In an Opinion piece in the Feb. 5 issue of the New University (‘Racist Speaker Welcomed by Hillel’), Marya Bangee gives a distorted recap of the lecture, concluding that Daniel Pipes is a racist and suggesting that Orange County Hillel had no business inviting Pipes.
I would like to set the record straight. Bangee attributes a quote to Pipes, asserting that he said ‘the Palestinians must be crushed.’ This is a gross misquotation and taken largely out of context. Perhaps if the Muslim Student Union and their supporters would have remained in the hall, they could have engaged in diplomacy, posing questions instead of trying to destroy the event.
Pipes said ‘the will of the Palestinians must be crushed’ in order to curb terrorism. He called for Israel to push deterrence policies with Palestinians instead of initiating fruitless compromises with those who condone terror against Israeli civilians. Negotiations are fruitless, according to Pipes, because Palestinians are more focused on eliminating Israel than building their own society and economy.
During his lecture, Pipes asserted that he wishes peace could be attained but that the reality of the situation is that without Palestinians recognizing Israel, the situation is hopeless. Pipes acknowledged his pro-Israel position and discussed Islamofacism. However, he did not attack Islam.
Bangee, however, failed to express the anti-Israel and anti-Semitic sentiment articulated by the MSU outside.
‘We got the message across,’ one member said. ‘What we did by walking out of there, it really accomplished something very, very, very powerful.